Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Banned for being bad

Brake Rotors

Any big difference in factory TJ rotors vs aftermarket ones.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Factory will almost always last longer and the cast versions (vs. the composit) are needed for a hub conversion.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Banned for being bad

Thank you
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:53 PM

Composite rotors are also far more prone to warping than cast rotors are.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned for being bad

Yea I went in to Goodyear by my jeep dealer because the dealer was over loaded with work and could not do mine. Goodyear was going to walk over to the jeep parts dept for my rotors but waited to late and they were closed. So he went and got them from there parts place. Will they at least last a year??

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Banned for being bad

Now with the new rotors my jeep tends to pull left, goodyear says it is no dout my suspension and not the brakes. I had no issues before the rotors were installed. Is there anything that would cause this when they put everything back togeather?

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 AM

Call bullsh!t on that to him Don. Your Jeep should brake straight and true. Sounds to me like a caliper is sticking - were they replaced or did they just do the pads and rotors?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Call bullsh!t on that to him Don. Your Jeep should brake straight and true. Sounds to me like a caliper is sticking - were they replaced or did they just do the pads and rotors?
Pads and rotors, it feels like im driving on pavement with low air pressure. Also I had an alignment less then 4 months ago.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Banned for being bad

Well my new aftermarket rotors and pads have me pulling left as im driving and right when I brake so a return trip to goodyear this morning.
Boy did it get ugly First thing out of their mouth is ITS YOUR SUSPENSION. I reply I had no suspension issues ( well I always wished it was higher ) untill I pulled into your driveway.
So we fight back and forth and now he wants me to leave it overnight with him, like hell so then he says ok fine I will get your factory pads and rotors and will be done with this
Like thats what I asked for to begin with

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:47 AM

........he hasn't hit you up for calipers yet? I'm surprised. Usually those guys are full on sharks on other parts being bad when it comes to "bring backs". Don't be surprised if you still get the pull with the factory pads and rotors. My OEM calipers were finnished at 35k.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
........he hasn't hit you up for calipers yet? I'm surprised. Usually those guys are full on sharks on other parts being bad when it comes to "bring backs". Don't be surprised if you still get the pull with the factory pads and rotors. My OEM calipers were finnished at 35k.
Oh yes they already said it might be the calipers I got 43k on them. How much are calipers

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 AM

I just paid $71.95 each for loaded Wagner Thermoquiet calipers for my Suburban - they ain't cheap.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:45 PM

If the calipers have miraculously gone bad since THEY did the brakes, insist that THEY pay for the replacement calipers.

After all, it didn't pull like that before they worked on the brakes.

FWIW, I've had a brake pull problem for a long time and I think I've finally gotten it beat. The slider pins for the caliper were gummed up on one side and not letting the caliper slide as easily as it should. I cleaned and regreased them and my brakes are working much better now.

02KJ,00TJ,98TJ,84CJ7

Jeep TJ Central
Old 12-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Banned for being bad

Thanks everyone, well they put factory rotors and pads on and it runs great and no more pull. Thanks for that tip Cory, and Robert you were right , on Sat they said I needed a Serpintine belt, on Mon they said I needed calipers , and today Wed they said my front left shock was leaking Also they blamed the pull on their ceramic pads.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Palese
on Sat they said I needed a Serpintine belt, on Mon they said I needed calipers , and today Wed they said my front left shock was leaking
LOL. I dunno what you were wearing but they obviously saw you coming Glad its worked out for you.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:55 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
just for clarification... I need new rotors soon. You guys are saying go with Mopar cast correct? or is there an aftermarket cast that's better/just as good?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
just for clarification... I need new rotors soon. You guys are saying go with Mopar cast correct? or is there an aftermarket cast that's better/just as good?
Take a lesson from me, get factory. I wasted 3 days with aftermarket crap and poor performance, now no problems with factory

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Palese
Take a lesson from me, get factory. I wasted 3 days with aftermarket crap and poor performance, now no problems with factory
I will. It's just funny you say that. I had my rotors replaced twice for warping. Once at just over 12k and again around 26K. I guess the third set's the charm. I'm at over 85k now and they're just badly scored.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
I will. It's just funny you say that. I had my rotors replaced twice for warping. Once at just over 12k and again around 26K. I guess the third set's the charm. I'm at over 85k now and they're just badly scored.
If the oem's warped on you just think what the aftermarket ones will do

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Reggae

Quote:
You may want to try torqueing your lug nuts to 110 Foot Pounds, instead of 110 Kg Force Metres. You elephant!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
You may want to try torqueing your lug nuts to 110 Foot Pounds, instead of 110 Kg Force Metres. You elephant!
I guess that's one reason impact wrenches arn't such a great idea. thanks for the tip.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:13 PM

110 lb/ft is alot and kinda tough to break free. Spec starts at 85.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Reggae

Quote:
110 lb/ft is alot and kinda tough to break free. Spec starts at 85.
Robert, at what torque spec do the tires start to run free from the jeep on highway?

Just kidding. 85 sounds all right to me. I use 110, it makes me feel better.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:23 PM

Sergey, one bout of not applying the proper specification taught me the specification