Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2004, 02:35 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Project TJ Kompressor

Project TJ Kompressor

Hi folks, I am about ready to start a late winter project; one that I have really no real need for, just a desire to have.

This Friday my custom made (just for me) Supercharger will be shipped to my shop. Soon I will begin the installation on my 97 TJ 4.0L

I have a lot of work to do prior to even beginning the installation

Here is a barrowed picture of what the main elements will look like once installed.

And here is a picture of my under hood.

I have a lot of stuff under here already.

There are more then a few tasks I have to complete or re-engineer prior to even thinking about starting this installing.

Here is a small list.

1. Snorkel / Stock Air Box, already relocated must be relocated again.

2. Hydraulic Solenoid/Control Valves for my MM winch must be relocated and lines re-routed.

3. OBA York Main air hose re-routed and air management system (Filters, regulator, air distribution manifold) relocated

4. AiROCK ACU (Hanging on underside of hood must be relocated.

5. "Power Bump" must be developed and implemented for the hood to clearance the supercharger pulley. (I have a 1" motor Mount lift I am unwilling to give up.)

6. Relocated the ARB Compressor.

7. Set up an appointment with a freind who dyno-tunes "Indy Type" racecars up in Indianapolis to dyno test (HP and Torque across the RPM band) my TJ as it is at the rear wheels right now. I will do this dyno testing a second time once I get the project completed.

As this project progresses I will post highlights of my experience, as I experience them, and as time permits.

Jeep Profile

Some of this may be pertinent, some not, but I figured I would post a profile of my Jeep at the start of this project.

1997 Jeep TJ 40.L with 82,000 miles.
This is the 116 Jeep TJ ever made. I was Manufactured in March of 1996 and is not 100% OBDII compliant. (Sensors are different, as is the computer)

Engine
My engine is in pristine condition, having used only Mobil 1 and Fram filters since new.

Compress testing and leak down testing are all within 98% of new engine condition.

I have been using an OilGuard By-pass filtration system for approximately 15K miles.

Engine has an "oil to coolant" cooler installed and an experimental evaporative cooling system, which I will write up shortly.

An automatic engine pre-oilier / accumulator of my own design feeds the engine oil prior to starting or in any case when the oil pressure should drop below 10 PSI.

Air intake system has a Safari Snorkel with a pre-filter to keep summertime bugs out, a K&N filter in a re-located stock air box, and a post filter of my own design.

Exhaust system consists of Doug Thorly Headers (Stock manifold cracked) and a Borla Cat Back System.

There is a 1" motor mount lift and a flat t/case skid plate.

The only engine problem I have had to fix was a leaking rear main oil seal at about 40K miles.

Rest of Jeep

Tranny is a granny gear NV4500

T/case is an Atlas II 3.8

Rear is a Super 35 with Air Operated Ox Locker 4.10 gears

Front is D30 with ARB Locker 4.10

Tires are BFG MT 32x11.50. I have 35's and do run them at times, but don't need most of the time.

Currie Anti-rock

Suspension is a conglomerate of what works best for me. OffRoadOnly AiROCK Springs, Some Stock and some Adjustable control arms. Both front and rear are 5 link setups.

There are two complete air compressors on the Jeep; an ARB system for the lockers, and an OBA YORK system for the suspension and tire inflation. Each system can and does form a redundancy to the other system with a simple flick of two manual valves under the hood.

Mile Marker 10,500 Hydraulic Winch

That's about it for anything I think maybe pertinent to this project and to paint a picture of the project. I'm sure something else will come out later as my mind is getting old, to say nothing of my back!

As I start solving some of the problems I mentioned above and start the installation I will post more.

At the start of this post I fessed up to the fact that I personally do not have any strong need to do this, just the desire. I have given a lot of thought to other engine projects, including stuffing the (almost) new 6.0L Power Stroke with A/T Tranny that is sitting on my shop floor into the TJ.

I felt the Supercharger was more to my liking and clearly within my skill base to do on my own at this time, as I find the energy and time to do the work.

Besides, I want to see if I can create enough torque to break my Super 35 axles!

Have a great day,

Frank