Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
I have a such a newbie question...

I don't know if it's worthy of the tech section? If you see fit, please move it. But anyways...

Since the SOA on my YJ I've never had front shocks on it. Mainly because I was "forced" (Read: No cashola for new springs) to re used my semi-sagged 3.5" springs. I didn't want to get a shock set up then ditch everything when I lowered it.

I now have a hybrid spring pack giving me ~1.5 of lift and I like it were it's at.

How do I go about setting up the lower and upper shock mounts? I am guessing now, but my uptravel will only be 4-5 inches at most, probably alittle less. I have no shock mounts whatsoever on the axle, and stock upper mounts on the frame that I can torch/grind/modifiy to fit. I'm not picky when it comes to shocks, I don't need some $90 a piece ones with fancy canisters or anything, just more than what I currently have.

Do I set up the upper mount first and go from there or what? I would prefer to not have my lower shock mount hang below the axle tube if it's possible.

Thanks for helping a fool out.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
you're right, you want the $124 apiece shocks The first time I just made my mounts and flexed it with a forklift and measured and bought some cheap ones that fit perfect. With my Fox shocks, I had a hell of a time. I bought 12" travel shocks.I knew I wanted the lower mount on top of the axle, so I made the lower mounts. I didn't have forklift access anymore so I jacked it up as much as I could and measured smashed shock length and extended shock length and did my best to locate the upper mount where it wouldn't conflict much with either measurement. I ended up with about 4-5" uptravel I believe.Worked ok in the end I think that way. Guess I'll probably do the same with the coilovers this time too.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
on mine, i setup the the bottom mounts flat with the bottom of the axle tube, so they wont get snagged on anything

then i set up my bump stops, then i flexed the jeep on a ramp to get the longest possible travel shock and i went with DT shocks,

I ordered the shocks and then made the top mounts

it just happened that i was able to reuse the MORE top mounts for my setup