Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-29-2002, 09:56 AM

Problems with vacuum in my jeep.

I have a vacuum leak. On occasion, my heater will move on its own from different posistions (to the feet, to the window) etc. How do I diagonse where the leak is coming from, etc..?
Old 07-30-2002, 04:37 PM

I'm betting the TJ and XJ have a similar system, so maybe this can help. The rear-most fitting on the XJ 4.0L intake manifold is the vacuum check valve which connects to a vacuum supply line running to the firewall, over to a 'T' fitting for the AC/heat controls, another 'T' fitting for the cruise control, and down to a vacuum reservoir behind the rear bumper on the passenger side.
The most common failure I've heard for the problem you mention, are cracked vacuum lines near the intake manifold, a cracked vacuum reservoir behind the bumper or a disconnected line.
If not a damaged line, then I'd look at the check valve in the manifold next. Hopefully the problem is there.
Again, just my experiences with XJ's, hopefully this helps somewhat.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:06 PM

Yep! What Iron Wagon said. They use some cheap plastic tubing that is alleregic to battery acid and heat. Replace all of it with good old fashion rubber vaccuum line.
Oh yeah, I forgot it was William asking.
When you find the leak, just put some black electrician tape on it and it will hold up until the worst possible moment! I been there.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Yep! What Iron Wagon said. They use some cheap plastic tubing that is alleregic to battery acid and heat.
Yep, cheap like skin, steel battery trays, aluminum rims, iron, leather, silver, eyes, (btw-how much is a new pair nowadays?) and an almost endless assortment of "cheap" stuff allergic to acid and heat.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:04 PM

U B a smart ass.
A little battery acid doesn't eat rubber and it's also cheap.