Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 PM

My New Jeep Project

My old CJ is getting a new lease on life! My 64 CJ5 has been in time out for the last 3 years due to it's rotting body, many frame cracks and broken front end. I've owned the Jeep since 1991 and it's been all over the western states under it's own power. I daily drove it for 4 years of it's life. It's been a great jeep.

So on to my project...... after gathering parts for a month, we are ready to roll. The plan is to have it back together and running for HDR in May. We'll see if I make it.

Specs are as follows, all in pieces right now.

92 Chevy 4.3 V6 with fuel injection (already in old Jeep)

either a 727 auto or a T-98 4 speed, have both not sure which to use yet.

231 from a YJ with a SYE

76 CJ5 frame, boxed and under contruction

like new CJ5 tub

HP D30 out of an XJ with TJ axle shafts

D44 rear out of an XJ

Front is going to be RE long arms with coils, rear is going to leaf with XJ rear springs. All of it will be put on the new Jeep, I'll be re-using a lot of parts off of my old Jeep. Dash, seats, roll cage, tail gate, radiator, wire harness, etc all reused.

The only thing left to figure out is either vacuum booster or hydro boost for brakes, and which tranny to use. It will be about a 91 " wheelbase, still keeping the back walls of the tub in tact, but using a longer wheelbase. Also, the weight will be pushed forward to balance the Jeep. I've got a lot of flak from the CJ guys for the use of the axles but, spare parts sharing with my TJ is what I am going for.

Wish me luck as I start my new project. I'll post pictures as I go. I guess it can either be an XJ-5 or a TJ-5
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 PM

I'll look forward to seeing your pile progress - and I thought I had a lot to do before HDR
Old 04-14-2005, 08:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
RE long arms and XJ leafs on the rear? Won't the front and rear suspension be touching in the middle?

Now change just a couple of things and this'll be about what my YJ is.

4.3L, 4L60E, and a Bronco D20. Leaving my wheelbase stock I still have 28" of rear driveshaft under the Jeep which is real easy on driveline angles.

One last thought. Is there an adapter needed to go from the TF727 or T-98 to the NP231? I'd prefer one adapter at most if possible to keep the length down.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
RE long arms and XJ leafs on the rear? Won't the front and rear suspension be touching in the middle?

Now change just a couple of things and this'll be about what my YJ is.

4.3L, 4L60E, and a Bronco D20. Leaving my wheelbase stock I still have 28" of rear driveshaft under the Jeep which is real easy on driveline angles.

One last thought. Is there an adapter needed to go from the TF727 or T-98 to the NP231? I'd prefer one adapter at most if possible to keep the length down.
Both trannies have adapters on them already for my t-case

Now just to decide which to use.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350