Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Reggae

A summer driving vacation

Can you suggest good routes for a summer (June-July) driving 1-to-2-week-long vacation originating in San Diego?

Two general directions that come to my mind are:

- A drive up the Pacific coast: LA, San Francisco, Oregon, Washington State
- Bear some heat in Las Vegas, and then go in the direction of up the Colorado River

How tolerable the summer heat can be, with the second option particularly? Anything else you can recommend? Thank you.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Vegas is unbearable at that time. Might cool down to 95* at night. Give any thought to running north up to Hwy 50 and then across east to whereever?
Magrudor Corridor after July 4 would be awesome?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Reggae

I am not sure where Hwy 50 is? Or did you mean Interstate 5 and then to the East to Idaho, Wyoming, maybe South Dakota?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Hwy 50 runs from N Ca. east through Nev and Ely Nv, over to Utah. Very desolate highway though. Called the loneliest hwy in America.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Highway 1 up the coast is a very nice summer drive. Be careful when you cross the Oregon border for the speed trap in Brookings! BTDT The Oregon coast is spectacular.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM

You could drive to Iowa, the corn looks lovely at that time of year
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Between those two choices, I'd defnitely head up the coast. My dad and I drove LA to Vancouver B.C. and back again via the West Coast Nat'l parks and it was one of the best trips I've ever done.

Every part of it is amazing, whether you are driving up PCH north of Santa Barbara, through the Monteray area, through the lost coast area north of SF, through the Oregon coast, and places like Olympic National Park up in Washington and Victoria Island in Canada.

All nice places to drive through in Summer time.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

I agree with Shalom, I wouldn’t think twice about it. Drive through the PNW and be amazed. Boy do I miss it.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM

BTW, put some street friendly tires on your Jeep and do the trip with a soft top for the freeways and no windows for the slower driving on roads like PCH. It would be completely worth it to run a lot of what you'll be driving through with just a top and no windows or a bikini top.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaceman View Post
BTW, put some street friendly tires on your Jeep and do the trip with a soft top for the freeways and no windows for the slower driving on roads like PCH. It would be completely worth it to run a lot of what you'll be driving through with just a top and no windows or a bikini top.
Let's see ... 2500 miles / 15 m.p.g. @ $3.75/gallon = $625

BTW, Shalom nailed it. The coast with the top down is amazing.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Let's see ... 2500 miles / 15 m.p.g. @ $3.75/gallon = $625

BTW, Shalom nailed it. The coast with the top down is amazing.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Or you could rent a convertible I suppose. My dad and I did our trip back when in an Aerostar minivan, which probably got the same MPG as a Jeep, although gas prices were around a buck a gallon, or there abouts if I'm remembering correctly.

So yeah, I guess the jeep wouldn't be the best choice now adays. It'd be fun though. It's the perfect vehicle for driving through those areas.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM

My wife and I are going to be driving from LA up to the Tahoe area this summer and then on to Utah. We are going to drive the Rubicon Trail with some friends from SoCal. This is the first time I have had to really think about setting a budget for gas and saving for it.

Back home in England, gasoline is the equivalent of $8.36/US Gal ($10.05 ImpGal). Sadly, we have been used to paying rip off prices for years. It's a bit like boiling a frog. Turn the heat up slowly but steadily and the frog wont notice until it's too late.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Yogurt Boi

Send a message via AIM to Larry Nickell
Sergey,

If you get up this way, this is a "must"....

http://www.cascadeloop.com/north_cascades_highway.html

You always have a place to stay with us as well.

Then head into Montana and down through Yellowstone on your way back.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

I also recommend "up the coast"
when I was younger, my dad took us up the coast for a family vacation and it was a blast - lance camper on an old Dodge truck, we stayed at beaches, in the mountains, and had a great time outdoors. when I was a little older (high school) we did the same thing but stayed in hotels along the way - not the same but still enjoyable. we went from LA to Oregon
Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
This is the first time I have had to really think about setting a budget for gas and saving for it.

Back home in England, gasoline is the equivalent of $8.36/US Gal ($10.05 ImpGal).
Don't worry Vince, at the rate it is going, it'll be around that price by the time you make it out here this summer.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 AM

I hope not. My Jeep is too heavy to push.