Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Question R.E. longarm kit.... is there a different version for the 2.5L and 4.0L engine?

The RE tranny mount holes on the skidplate don't line up with the tranny mount, they are located further forward, maybe 1.5" or so, than the tranny mount is. It almost makes me wonder if RE may have a version for the 2.5L that they may have shipped me accidentaly instead of the 4.0L version that I need.

Anyone know anything about this? The 4WP shop tech that is helping me install the kit has installed a half-dozen of these kits and has never seen this before. He can fix it by cutting the center plate and repositioning the mounting bracket area (I'm not exactly sure exactly how) but I'm not sure I want to do that.

Help!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:01 PM

I thought there were three versions, auto, manual and weld up your own tranny mount where they ship the supports loose.

I did not think there was a 4 cyl vs 6 cyl variant.

any chance you have it lined up backwards?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:25 PM

I don't believe RE differentiates between the 2.5L and 4.0L motors.

And, IIRC, the tranny mounting bracket that bolts between the skid plate and the tranny mount is the same for the auto vs manual. You rotate the bracket 180 deg where it bolts on the skid plate so the bolt pattern will match the tranny you have.

At least that's how I recall it. It's been a while...

Good luck and let us know how it's going...
Old 09-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Sounds to me like you got the version for the Manual Tranny, instead of the one for Auto
Old 09-19-2004, 05:04 PM

Photos 3 and 8 at http://www.rubiconusa.com/instructi...ess/RE7200D.pdf shows the plate. It is asymetrical from front-to-rear, how can it be flipped around as has been suggested? You will need a .pdf reader to view that page.

I don't see anything on RE's site that indicates there is a different version of the belly plate for the auto vs. 5-speed.

I wasn't there when the belly pan was installed, is there any way he could have gotten it mounted too far forward? Is there anything about the frame or RE belly plate that would prevent that? He has installed at least a half-dozen of these kits so I can't see him screwing up something this basic.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry, if I remember correctly, the RE belly pan uses the stock skid mountig holes plus the extra ones that are drilled during the install. If that is correctly, it would be difficult to think it was mounted in the wrong position.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Jerry, if I remember correctly, the RE belly pan uses the stock skid mountig holes plus the extra ones that are drilled during the install. If that is correctly, it would be difficult to think it was mounted in the wrong position.
That is a relief, thanks Stu. I got the sick feeling that maybe the install got botched while I was away on my anniversary weekend.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:12 PM

Jerry, I was not referring to the flipping the crossmember around, I was referring to the tranny mount bracket which attaches between the crossmember and the tranny. There are four slotted holes in the tranny mount bracket, but they are not centered on the bracket. By rotating the bracket around 180 degrees you will place the holes (slots) either further forward, or more rearward.

Check here: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=759

Click on the top pic, RE4100, to enlarge it. Notice the tranny mount bracket in the lower right, and notice how the mounting slots for the tranny are not centered lengthwise. IIRC, you can rotate the bracket 180 deg and therefore move the tranny mounting slots either forward or rearward. My guess is the bracket is mounted wrong for your install.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:46 PM

Gotcha Darrel, now I see what you're talking about. I am now worried that I may have the skidplate meant for '03 and newer TJs as a few on JU think I might have. I don't recall a separate mounting plate like that in the picture you posted which seems to confirm the possibility I have the skidplate for new TJs. I will have to check that out tomorrow. Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:07 AM

My rig is an '03 and has a separate tranny mounting bracket, although different from one in the pic I posted to earlier. Same concept however.

Good luck with it, Jerry. I know you'll enjoy the suspension once it's done.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 PM

Well whatever the problem was, and I think the problem is that I have the incorrect 02/03 skidplate instead of the version for '97-02, it's now fixed. Some torch work and a bit of welding and the tranny mount is where it should be. Something about the tranny plate maybe not being reversable on the '02 and newer plates is our best guess.

Oh well, we'll be finished tomorrow night... then the 5-6 mile drive through the center of Escondido without a muffler to the muffler shop. I hope the cops are in a good mood or off eating doughnuts somewhere else heheh!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Well whatever the problem was, and I think the problem is that I have the incorrect 02/03 skidplate instead of the version for '97-02, it's now fixed. Some torch work and a bit of welding and the tranny mount is where it should be. Something about the tranny plate maybe not being reversable on the '02 and newer plates is our best guess.

Oh well, we'll be finished tomorrow night... then the 5-6 mile drive through the center of Escondido without a muffler to the muffler shop. I hope the cops are in a good mood or off eating doughnuts somewhere else heheh!
Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!
Do not under any circumstances let the exhaust pipe aim at the fuel tank. It will melt a hole in it, it will leak fuel, it may explode.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 PM

Good point Blaine, I'll make sure it's pointing well away from the gas tank before I leave for the muffler shop. Thanks for that reminder.