Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Question Knowledge of SM465 assembly??

I'm going on my hunch, and the confirming advice I received on the pirate thread, in believing my original problem was selector sleave/ fork misalignment.
However, even with the top off the tranny and the selector sleaves set to what should be reverse, the tranny binds up. Forward gears are fine.

I know they don't appreciate linking to the board, so search for my thread titled, HELP! SM465 stuck between gears??? . It's on page 1 of the Gen 4x4 forum now.

Any advice appreciated. Oh, you'll get a kick out of my dumbass stunt, detailed in the thread... so even if you can't help with the tranny problem, go read the thread- good for a laugh at my expense!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:51 PM

On the other board you said you your output shaft spun in neutral and bound up in any other gear. Here you say forward gears are fine and it binds in reverse. Which is it? I'll assume that your output shaft spins (probably backwards) in neutral and all forward gears lock and that is what my reply is based on.
You have already heard this but it is worth repeating. You can't install the trans top without the shifter being 1/2 way into reverse to properly line up your shift forks.
With this said here is another fact. Reverse gear is not disengaging. The reason for this is that you are not getting the reverse fork into the groove on the reverse idler gear. This will keep the idler gear partially engaged like it is in your first picture. The second picture shows the reverse idler completely engaged.
You need to look from the top of the trans at the 1st/2nd slider (this is the large slide towards the rear of the trans) With the trans in neutral (both front and rear sliders in the middle of their range of motion) look straight down at the 1-2 slider and you should position the reverse idler gear fork groove just rearward of the 1-2 slider's fork groove. That is half way into reverse and the only way to install the top correctly.
The reason it locks in any gear other than reverse is that with reverse partially engaged you are engaging two gears. With that said if there were any problems with 1,2,3 or 4th gear being locked then you would also be locked in reverse. Try it again.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:52 PM

my oops on that, I'm tired.
With the shifter in 4th, the output spins. With the shifter in neutral, the output spins at same rate of speed- so the selector is still in 4th.
Thanks for the advice, popping the top again now.
Just a little spooked about the binding, hoping I didn't f anything up.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:08 PM

found the problem. 4th gear synchro is wedged. It does not ride semi-freely like the other syncrhos. That's why I have 4th gear in neutral and in 4th, and why when in any other gear the tranny binds up.
Short of dropping the tranny and rebuilding it, anyone have any tricks for freeing up that syncrho??
Old 06-13-2004, 09:24 PM

got the tranny unbound.

Found the problem, the 4th gear synchro/gear were wedged, keeping 4th gear always engaged.
I ended up dropping the tcase to doublecheck the output from the tranny was not too long.
I then worked rear to front, prying on all the gears. Ended up being able to pop the synchro loose from the gear. Ran through all the gears, all working fine.
Going to put the tranny top back on tomorrow and give it a try.

I have a feeling what happened is I missed the reverse gear with the shift fork, and when I tested either 3rd or 4th gear the 4th gear synchro/gear got wedged together from the tranny bind. Sound about right? Any concern about running the tranny as is now?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
got the tranny unbound.

Found the problem, the 4th gear synchro/gear were wedged, keeping 4th gear always engaged.
I ended up dropping the tcase to doublecheck the output from the tranny was not too long.
I then worked rear to front, prying on all the gears. Ended up being able to pop the synchro loose from the gear. Ran through all the gears, all working fine.
Going to put the tranny top back on tomorrow and give it a try.

I have a feeling what happened is I missed the reverse gear with the shift fork, and when I tested either 3rd or 4th gear the 4th gear synchro/gear got wedged together from the tranny bind. Sound about right? Any concern about running the tranny as is now?
No concerns whatsoever. But hey, what do I know? I drive an auto.

When mine dies, I'll just push it to the house and swap in the spare.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
When mine dies, I'll just push it to the house and swap in the spare.
I'll do the same if the time comes. I was prepared to do that last night until I somehow managed to pop the syncrho free.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:59 AM

I guess I should not have assumed. I know better than that.