Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

What's going on with my tranny?

With my truck in the body shop I have been driving the TJ for 3 weeks and when I coast on the freeway and I am caught between two gears, the TJ slams into the upper gear with a clunking noise.

Last week, I was going up my driveway, slowed down to look at something, and same clunking noise when it went from 2nd to 1st. I stepped on the gas and nothing, the TJ didn't move. I put the shifter in neutral, back in drive, and no problems, off it went.

I was going to take it to the dealership to have it looked at (still under warranty), but their response will probably be "we couldn't duplicate the problem".

Any ideas as to what is going on so I can point them in the right direction?

04 TJ - Auto tranny
Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Forgot to mention... I don't know if it is related, but the engine makes a high pitch whistle from time to time, seems to be coming from the pulleys.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Re: What's going on with my tranny?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence
With my truck in the body shop I have been driving the TJ for 3 weeks and when I coast on the freeway and I am caught between two gears, the TJ slams into the upper gear with a clunking noise.

Last week, I was going up my driveway, slowed down to look at something, and same clunking noise when it went from 2nd to 1st. I stepped on the gas and nothing, the TJ didn't move. I put the shifter in neutral, back in drive, and no problems, off it went.

I was going to take it to the dealership to have it looked at (still under warranty), but their response will probably be "we couldn't duplicate the problem".

Any ideas as to what is going on so I can point them in the right direction?

04 TJ - Auto tranny
Call Joe at Westminster Transmission in Westminster. Run it by him and you will get your answer.