Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-16-2003, 11:57 PM

Smog and buying a Jeep in California

Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying another truck. Its a beater but advertised as "no major problems" It is an Ebay auction but I am local.

Who's responsiblity is to get the smog certification done when I pick up the car? Does he have to pay for it or do I?

Is it illegal to sell a car that doesn't pass smog? Can I walk away if I have agreed to buy a car (auction) and then show up to find it won't pass smog?

Is there anywhere I could find these answers?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 AM

If you buy a car in CA, the seller is responsible to smog the vehicle. If the car is from out of state then you would be responsible for smog. The DMV will not inforce this rule because it is too much trouble for them. I know this because a buddy of mine bought a Jeep on ebay and it didn't pass smog, (the seller said it was smogged, it wasn't). The DMV said it was impossible for them to enforce the law. He threatened the seller with court action and he finally bought it back. Basically if you are going to buy it then tell them it has to be smogged for you to buy it or you might end up with more expense than you expected.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:33 AM

what al said is absolutely correct. also, if you're interested, you can go to the CARB website (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx) and you can search for the smog history by VIN or by license plate number.