Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-01-2005, 10:09 AM

15x8.5? What?

Hello!
I have a 2003 TJ that is getting the Rancho 3 1/2 lift. I had thought that 15x8 would be the way to go for 33's. However, it seems that about all 33's are 12.5's and all the manufactures list a rim with of 8.5 or greater. Now who the heck makes a 8.5?
I need a bit o' help. This TJ is getting the above listed lift. It is not a "daily driver" nor is it offroad only. I drive it around town on weekends. Every 6 weeks I do drive it from LA to Vegas but I don't care about the highway comfort at all. I want this to be able to get this out on the trails, that is the focus. My main concern is possible rubbing. I have noticed that I do crank the wheel all the way from time to time. I could get the 15x8 and ignore the manf 8.5 min. Or go with 15x10. On any rim, will a 33x12.5 rub any? Would it be better to run a 32x11.5 tire on a 15x8? Should I consider a 16x10?

Any sugestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Martin.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM

A15x8 wheel is fine for a 33x12.50 or even a 35x12.50 as I run, go for it Martin.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
dennisuello

Re: 15x8.5? What?

15x8 is just fine. I run 35x13.5 wide tire on 8" wide rim.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
I've got a set of 8.5" wide rims laying around. Don't know who makes them off hand though

Wheels
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

FWIW, Centerline makes 8.5" wide wheels.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Like everyone else said, 15x8 is fine for 12.50" tires. I'm running 35x12.50x15s on stock Gambler wheels with Spidertraxx spacers for proper backspacing.

Regarding backspacing, I'd suggest shooting for the 4.0 to 4.25" range. With the wheel/spacer combo I'm using I have an effective 4.25" backspacing, and without any washers under the steering stops I get slight rubbing on the lower control arms at full lock. The tire tucks up inside the fender flare instead of catching the lip, although it will rub it if I'm turning while stuffed.

This is about the best pic I could find of mine stuffed:

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Thank you for the replys!
I was hoping to pickup a set of American Racing Chamber wheels. The 15x8 have 3.75 backspacing. The 16x8's have 4.25. Dan, have you had any issues with using a spacer ring? Are spacers the way to go?

If I installed a set of the Poison Spider or whoevers, tube fenders, would that pervent the wheel from getting stuffed/rub?

Thanks,
Martin
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM

I have had zero issues with the Spidertraxx spacers, and as long as you use a quality spacer I have no doubt your experience will be the same. The only issue I've personally heard of with the spacers is when using aftermarket aluminum wheels with them - the wheel lugs are a little short and don't allow enough thread engagement into the standard lug nuts, a problem easily fixed by using "ET" style lug nuts.

Whether spacers are the way to go or not is a matter of personal preference. They were for me, and since StealthTJ gave me a pair he could no longer use after doing his front hub conversion I was able to get by with purchasing only one pair. I already had the Gambler wheels, so the cost was minimal in my case. But, if you factor in the cost of new aluminum wheels at around $100 or more each, even two pair of spacers at $129 per pair is very cost effective. Again, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Not sure which way I'd go - 15 or 16" wheels - since I haven't kept up with the tire availablity for the 16" size. There are many people running 15x8s with 3.75" backspacing that can tell you how that works for them.

Regarding the PSC fenders, you will actually lose a little clearance compared to the stock fenders due to the tubing that runs around the edge. If you look under your fender you will see a cutout section for the tire to stuff up into - something the PSC fender doesn't provide. It is easy to keep the tire from contacting the fender - either the stock or PSC one - by extending the bumpstops, something you will need to play with to get right anyway. I have mine set so the tire just rubs enough to clean the dirt off, although I did tweak the fender a little before getting everything set properly.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt