Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Reggae

Anyone ever won a parking spot war?

The parking spot situation where I work is all too familiar: simply there are not enough parking spots. And since new neighbors moved in next door, it turned into a war.

Today these jokers went on the offence: parked one of their vehicles blocking our roll up gate, and parked another vehicle across two parking spots.

That's so f-ing lame, part of me wants to go talk to them now. But, I am not going to loose my cool out of some pity parking spots.

So, has anyone been to parking spot wars before? Any recommendations on a successiful strategy?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Only had one of these once. Living in Germany I had somebody that kept parking some little mini car behind me and blocking me in.
Got some friends and picked up the car and set it down between to poles that blocked off the street that let to my place. There was maybe 5-6" between each of his bumpers and the poles so there was not a chance in hell of driving it out of there
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM

you have a jeep, correct? and a winch, correct? ... so what's the problem again

I just get to work early enough so I don't need to worry about it
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Drive your Jeep to work tomorrow and box them in - your Jeep looks like it means business and I doubt they will mess with it
Old 10-07-2004, 11:17 AM

Is there a Home Owners board you could take this to?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Is there a Home Owners board you could take this to?
This is at work so there is a landlord - there is a certain amount of spaces per tenant assigned as part of your lease.

Take pictures.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:24 PM

You guys are going about this all wrong - I think he should drive his Jeep and park it on top of the biggest offenders ride. I mean, won't that just calm things right down

Old 10-07-2004, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Park on their hoods?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot
Park on their hoods?
Yes, its sure to lend feelings of mutual acceptance and promote problem solving in a positive manner
Old 10-07-2004, 01:50 PM

I'm gonna say get some pepper spray (OC spray, the current mace-type agent used by police) and spray it on their door handles when they park in your spots.

Next time they rub their eyes....
Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Sergey,

It may be a bit different for you since we own our building, but, we called up a towing company. In exchange for giving them exclusive towing rights when we call, they put up signs on our spaces to keep the riff-raff from using it. Sure, we had a few tow aways at first, but at $100+ a pop to get a car back out of hawk it rarely happens anymore.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:44 PM

Bananna in the tailpipe?

If this is at work, I'd call the landlord and ask them to start enforcing the parking.

Parking in front of rollup doors sounds like a fire hazard to me.

If your landlord is unsympathetic then, "Fire hazard" is a good buzzword to get landlords to do things they don't like doing, especially if it is coupled with "phone call to local fire inspector" the next time this happens.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Reggae

Them are some good ideas, thank you!

The landlord is trying to unload (sell) the business park, so I doubt he will want to get involved. The fire suppression system in the building is not up to code, and he is not even fixing that, even though the fire department was here and said it had to be fixed.

The space in front of our roll-up door is in fact marked as a regular parking space, instead of "unloading zone" or something like that. There are no designated or reserved spaces; it's a Wild West out here ? every man woman and child for himself. There is a tow-away sign, I am not sure I have authority to call the towing though, the use of parking spaces is not in the lease contract...
Old 10-07-2004, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
do you need a sign that says the roll up spot is for unloading only? you going to the rookie run?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Well, sounds like the LL is not going to be of any use.

You have a high lift jack right? Nothing says "don't park here" like coming out to your car on its side.

Actually I'm not recommending that. That would be wrong. Fun, but wrong.

You could always try calling the towing company listed on the tow-away signs.

They usually come out no matter who calls.

They wouldn't tow the person in front of your roll up, if that is actually a space, but they might tow the double parker.

Or you could do what I always did when my ZJ was big and the tires stuck out past the fenders.

Pull up on the driver side of the double parker and park as humanly close to the car as is possible without hitting it.

That usually gets people to be considerate when not only do they have to climb through the passanger side of their car to get in it, but then they have to be very very very careful pulling out or risk marking up the side of their car on your jeep's tires.

That's very fun.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Them are some good ideas, thank you!

The landlord is trying to unload (sell) the business park, so I doubt he will want to get involved. The fire suppression system in the building is not up to code, and he is not even fixing that, even though the fire department was here and said it had to be fixed.

The space in front of our roll-up door is in fact marked as a regular parking space, instead of "unloading zone" or something like that. There are no designated or reserved spaces; it's a Wild West out here ? every man woman and child for himself. There is a tow-away sign, I am not sure I have authority to call the towing though, the use of parking spaces is not in the lease contract...
You are 100% out of control.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Reggae

Cool

Yes, I think I need the sign. Where does it mount? I probably just need to paint the sign on the door. It's one of those roll-up doors that rolls up in a roll on top.

That's exactly what I did to the double parker this morning; I parked the truck so close that he couldn't drive out of the spot without breaking my mirror. I then changed my mind in about an hour and backed down for now. Part of the problem, my truck was out of the spot boundaries now, so I wasn't sure on whether or not it would play a role once it came to assigning the blame.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
You are 100% out of control.
If I had no hair at all, I would shave my head completely, and then I would look really scary!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:25 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

i havent ever had a "company" parking war, but i have had someone floor it and jump right in front of me and slide into the parking space.
this is something that will send me over the edge, and make me crazy in the head.
i sat there for a moment trying to gather my thoughts, and the car next to the bitch that swiped my space pulled out.
i slid my expedition in the new vacant spot about 3-4" from the driver door of the thiefs car.
i sat there and waithe for her to get out of the starbucks to leave.
she was flipping out screaming and throwing a fit, and i was chatting on my cel phone just to **** her off.
i sat there telling her just a minute for about 5 minutes while laughing my ass off on this phone conversation.
this girl was absolutely LIVID, and climbed into the passenger side of of the car with her coffee which she spilled all over the car. once she was in.. i casually pulled off, and waved goodbye.
she was calling me all kinds of names that i never heard of... what the hell is a "dank ass nigga'" anyway?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM

I found a guy at Wallie World parked within the first 5-6 rows, straddling the line for 2 spaces. He had however left enough space for me to fit my XJ in one of the spaces and not be over the line. That left him enough space to get to his door but not open it enough to get in. Bout half an hour later I got a call over the intercom for the owner a black Jeep Cherokee to move your vehicle. Rather than risk him saying I was the problem and double parked and get towed or something (my corner was 3" into another spot) I went out there and he said he parked like cuz of a bad leg...he had a couple scrapes and a bruise on his calf. He thought he honestly had a right to take up 2 spaces in a crowded lot up close to the doors, and that i was wrong for parking like I did. If I'da been thinking, I would've gone out to make sur eit was him and then came back in to report a blue Nissan Altima double parked in their lot... I'm sure he woulda loved that.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
i havent ever had a "company" parking war, but i have had someone floor it and jump right in front of me and slide into the parking space.
this is something that will send me over the edge, and make me crazy in the head.
i sat there for a moment trying to gather my thoughts, and the car next to the bitch that swiped my space pulled out.
i slid my expedition in the new vacant spot about 3-4" from the driver door of the thiefs car.
i sat there and waithe for her to get out of the starbucks to leave.
she was flipping out screaming and throwing a fit, and i was chatting on my cel phone just to **** her off.
i sat there telling her just a minute for about 5 minutes while laughing my ass off on this phone conversation.
this girl was absolutely LIVID, and climbed into the passenger side of of the car with her coffee which she spilled all over the car. once she was in.. i casually pulled off, and waved goodbye.
she was calling me all kinds of names that i never heard of... what the hell is a "dank ass nigga'" anyway?

It's nice to have 1/4" steel rocker guards and hard plastic flares on the Jeep, ain't it?