Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM

First we have global warming......

....and now besides running out of oil, we are going to run out of metal too

Supply of Metals Raises Concern LiveScience Staff

LiveScience.com
Fri Jan 20, 10:00 AM ET

If all nations were to use the same services enjoyed in developed nations, even the full extraction of metals from the Earth's crust and extensive recycling may not be enough to meet metal demands in the future, according to a new study.

To investigate the environmental and social consequences of metal depletion, researchers looked at metal stocks thought to exist in the Earth, metal in use by people today, and how much is lost in landfills.

Using copper stocks in North America as a starting point, the researchers tracked the evolution of copper mining, use and loss during the 20th century. They then combined this information with other data to estimate what the global demand for copper and other metals would be if all nations were fully developed and using modern technologies.

According to the study, all of the copper in ore, plus all of the copper currently in use, would be required to bring the world to the level of the developed nations for power transmission, construction and other services and products that depend on the metal.

The study, led by Thomas Graedel of Yale University, was detailed in the Jan. 17 issue of the journal for the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

For the entire globe, the researchers estimate that 26 percent of extractable copper in the Earth's crust is now lost in non-recycled wastes. For zinc, that number is 19 percent.

These metals are not at risk of immediate depletion, however, because supplies are still large enough to meet demands and mines have become more efficient at extracting these ores.

But scarce metals, such as platinum, face depletion risks this century because of the lack of suitable substitutes in such devices as catalytic converters and hydrogen fuel cells.

The researchers also found that for many metals, the average rate of usage per person continues to rise. As a result, the report says, even the more plentiful metals may face similar depletion risks in the future.

...........I predict that talk of forced population control will be coming next from these communists.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Hmm, I wonder if this is a scare tactic secretly funded by metals companies in an effort to plant the seed so that they can raise the price of their products rapidly - choking it up to "supply & demand".

Speaking of metals - I have some friends who live in Australia and work as gold miners. My friends told me that they have recently discovered another gold source which they will tap into in the future and to their current estimation - they'll be able to extract gold for at least 50 years from it.

The mine they are working at right now has enough gold still in it to keep them busy for another ~20 years.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hmmm......I'm betting that box of used up copper top batteries is gaining in value every day I hold onto it.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Your friends are part of the problem Joe, not the solution
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 PM

Time to find a start up asteriod mining company to invest in.

Could be the next IBM stock.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:54 PM

salvage all the sunken ships from WWII
Old 01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Reggae

Actually, human body contains an exceptionally wide array of metals, from Arsenic to Zink. I?d say, let?s start a company that would reprocess human corpses to extract metal.

Our slogan could be, ?Metal, it is people!?