Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-11-2003, 08:46 AM
dennisuello

Question Optima or Odyssey

my jeep was sitting for couple days without starting and when i tried to start it this morning, it was turning over, but not starting. i knew my battery (Excide Orbital) was going, but didn't think it would die that soon.

i'm looking at Optima Yellow Top (ULT-9014-045) and Odyssey 1200 (ODY-PC1200MJT). i know some of you prefer Odyssey, but then Optima has been proven as many people run it.

Optima:
* Cold Cranking amps at 0 degrees F - 550 amps
* Cold Cranking amps at 32 degrees F - 870 amps
* Reserve Capacity- 124 minutes
* Capcity - 55Ah

Odyssey:
* Cold Cranking amps - 530
* Cold Cranking amps at 32 degrees F - 675
* Cold Cranking amps at 80 degrees F - 860
* Hot Cranking amps/5 seconds - 1200
* Reserve capacity - 78 minutes
* Capacity - 40Ah

Seems like most numbers are higher for Optima battery, what's then the advantage of Odyssey? Optima is ~$15 cheaper too.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:57 AM

All I can say is my last Yellow Top worked so well for nearly five years that I bought another one just like it recently. The old one was still starting my Jeep every day but little clues said it was getting marginal so it was time to go.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:44 AM

Re: Optima or Odyssey

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
... i know some of you prefer Odyssey, but then Optima has been proven as many people run it.

Seems like most numbers are higher for Optima battery, what's then the advantage of Odyssey? Optima is ~$15 cheaper too.
I may be a minority, but the only thing Optima has proven to me is that they will die inside of three years and their customer service sucks. Took over a month to get a replacment.
If thay had'nt given me one when they did, I would have bought the Odyssey.

One big difference in the two batteries you compared is the size. Check out the dimensions of those two and you'll see. Then compare the Optima to the Odyssey 1200. You'll find they are about the same.

kris.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I can only comment on my one Optima Yellow Top. It celebrated its 36 month anniversary last month. There are no indications of a problem that I can detect.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Re: Re: Optima or Odyssey

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris
Took over a month to get a replacment.
If thay had'nt given me one when they did, I would have bought the Odyssey.
They just have so few failures that Optima doesn't know what to do when one does fail.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM

I've had both brands. I haven't had the greatest luck with the Optima Red Top in winching situations. Once you pull the battery down too low, it seems to charge back O.K. for a little while, then fails completely in a month or more. This is not news, as Optima doesn't recommend their Red Top for this type of use, anyway. I've never had a problem with an Optima Yellow Top and will keep using them.

The Odyssey, IMHO, isn't built too well. I ordered two and, when they arrived, the terminals on one were smashed in the battery. They sent another, but this time, the terminals rotated freely and evidently weren't connected inside the battery (and no, I didn't bust the terminals trying to attach the cables). My friend also ordered an Oddysey and had the same terminal problems.

I vote Optima Yellow (or Blue) Top.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Howell
I've had both brands. I haven't had the greatest luck with the Optima Red Top in winching situations. Once you pull the battery down too low, it seems to charge back O.K. for a little while, then fails completely in a month or more. This is not news, as Optima doesn't recommend their Red Top for this type of use, anyway. I've never had a problem with an Optima Yellow Top and will keep using them.

The Odyssey, IMHO, isn't built too well. I ordered two and, when they arrived, the terminals on one were smashed in the battery. They sent another, but this time, the terminals rotated freely and evidently weren't connected inside the battery (and no, I didn't bust the terminals trying to attach the cables). My friend also ordered an Oddysey and had the same terminal problems.

(warming up the popcorn popper, getting my easy chair positioned)
Old 09-11-2003, 10:12 AM

I'm with Kris, my Yellowtop crapepd out after 26 months and the customer service ong etting a new one sucked. Sure, getting a replacement yellowtop at full retail is such a deal

My Oddessey has been in for 2 years no problems.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
(warming up the popcorn popper, getting my easy chair positioned)

Old 09-11-2003, 11:00 AM

Quote:
but this time, the terminals rotated freely and evidently weren't connected inside the battery (and no, I didn't bust the terminals trying to attach the cables). My friend also ordered an Oddysey and had the same terminal problems.

Phil - there is an allen head bolt inside the terminal that you can tighten - there are specific torque values given in the booklet that comes with the battery. One of my terminals showed up loose on my 1700 that I put in my RV - it took 2.3 seconds to fix.

I've had the Odyssey in both my Jeep and my motorhome - IMO they work great. Heck - their build batteries for the military so their specs can't be all that bad.

I say Odyssey!

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
. . . there is an allen head bolt inside the terminal that you can tighten - there are specific torque values given in the booklet that comes with the battery. One of my terminals showed up loose on my 1700 that I put in my RV - it took 2.3 seconds to fix.

Jeff
Jeff,

The bolts didn't tighten the terminals on that one battery. That was why I said they evidently weren't connected somehow inside. Oddysey agreed the battery was faulty and replaced that one, too. I used them on that project, but figured I had had too much bad luck to try them again.

By the way, Oddysey's service was great. Be wary of my experience with good service from any of the companies I talk about, though, as I was with the magazine at the time I was dealing with most of them . . .
Old 09-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Reggae

Sorry for spoiling the fun folks.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Jeff,

The bolts didn't tighten the terminals on that one battery. That was why I said they evidently weren't connected somehow inside. Oddysey agreed the battery was faulty and replaced that one, too. I used them on that project, but figured I had had too much bad luck to try them again.
Ahh - now I understand. When the terminal was loose on mine I didn't see the allen bolt there at first (it's got a little saftey cover thing on it).

Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Sorry for spoiling the fun folks.
can you also make this a poll, so we can see which is a good battery and which is bad?

Optima or Odyssey
Old 09-11-2003, 11:49 AM

I run an Optima Blue top, and pulled it out of my old Jeep to place in my current one. So far it's seen three years of service and still going strong.

I also have an Optima Yellow top in my work vehicle, and it's been in service for about 4 years (running emergency lights, siren, radios, etc)...starting to show signs of age. The county runs Yellow tops in all S.O. patrol vehicles and has had excellent luck with them.

Just offering my experience...
Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 AM

I'm on my 3rd yellowtop in 5 years which works out to a "battery payment" of about $8 per month BUT I also tend to really abuse batteries. Maybe the odyssey is better, the yellowtop works well enough for me though.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Reggae

Quote:
can you also make this a poll, so we can see which is a good battery and which is bad?
No need for a pool. Optima is for those who like to be on the receiving end of butt screw. Real manly men choose Odyssey, and never look back.

Of course, I wouldn't know much about it personally, as I run a Caterpillar battery in my jeep. Yea, I am exquisite like that. I also stick my little finger out when I hold a cup of coffee in my hand.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
No need for a pool. Optima (bad battery) is for those who like to be on the receiving end of butt screw. Real manly men choose Odyssey (good battery), and never look back.

Of course, I wouldn't know much about it personally, as I run a Caterpillar battery in my jeep. Yea, I am exquisite like that. I also stick my little finger out when I hold a cup of coffee in my hand.

OMG Sergey, lay off the pies - I think you have a sugar imbalance going on Or else Scott Hill is writing your posts for you
Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Optima Red Top. 4 Years of flawless service and counting.

Guess what I'm gonna buy when it dies?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:19 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
I have to throw in a vote for optima. Turns out my uncle works for Johnson Controls (another fine Wisconsin company), who in turn owns interstate, which owns optima. I guess what I'm saying is... if it comes from Wisconsin it's gotta be good. You guys who have had problems must have installed them incorrectly or something.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:19 PM

Which battery is better suited for use with a manual transmission?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Reggae

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
AAA
Old 09-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Definitely an Optima Red Top. I've had two in my Jeep with the manual tranny for at least six months. One for use and one behind the seat for a spare and welding. They have held up great for all that time.
With success like that why would I change now?
BTW, my cheap Costco battery worked fine for three years and is still working in my son's Samurai. It just didn't like being upside down for some reason.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

So.....from all of these posts, I have confirmed a couple of things and discovered one previously unknown fact. They are, in that order;

1. Robert still hates Optima (bad battery) (bad battery) although he hasn't owned his Odyssey (good battery) (good battery) as long as he did the Optima (bad battery). I forgot who mentioned it, but the fact it was a bad Optima (bad battery) (bad battery) install might very well have been the root cause!

2. Someone on this thread doesn't know the difference between a Caterpillar and a Jeep!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:42 PM

Stu, I will bet you $5 that my Oddessey makes it another 2 months - which then would make it more durable than the yelloowtop POS that I had in the same rig
Old 09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I think the Caterpillar driver is doctoring my posts.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:57 PM

........then get even with him when he comes over to your forum
Old 09-11-2003, 01:49 PM
dennisuello

ok, fine, Odyssey it is. do i need anything special to connect wires to the terminals?
Old 09-11-2003, 01:58 PM

Quote:
ok, fine, Odyssey (good battery) it is. do i need anything special to connect wires to the terminals?
Yeah -- an optima!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Call me nutz, but Ive been running a standard exide battery (not the orbital) for almost 3 years with no problems.. then again, I don't own a winch, or any accesorizing lights..
Scott