Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 AM

Rollovers.....Should You Be Proud?

A guy I know recently completed a wheelin' trip through Colorado and Moab.

He rolled 3 times in 5 days.

Once on Helldorado I think, once on Holy Cross, and once in Moab in a what looked like one of the hot tub whatever thingies.

So,

Are rollovers to be worn with pride, like an honor badge?

Or if you roll 3 times in 5 days, shoud you hang it up and take up wood whittling?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Sounds like he was trying to roll to do it that often. Maybe after the first roll he said screw it?

I wouldn't be too proud of myself......
Old 08-28-2003, 11:35 AM

There's no should in wheelin'. You don't HAVE to be driving an Auto, MT/R, Warn winch wearing TJ to have fun off road. We do all remember fun, right?

As an accomplished roller, I have learned that there are guys that will flop for the fun of it and I'm not one of them. While I can't speak for the sanity of your aquaintance, I can tell you that I see it as neither a badge nor baggage. Its just a thing that happens on occasion... doesn't make you any better or worse a wheeler, just one that has an experience thats pretty remarkable.

Speaking for myself, I know that there are emotional scars that show themselves on occasion on trail. There are certain situations I avoid so as to not do it again.

I do, however, have on the side of my jeep 2 rollover stickers, which are a not so subtle reminder to myself not to do it again.

Seth
Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 AM

I think the only thing one could be proud of, is if the Jeep rolls and suffer no or very minimal damage. You can be proud it's tough. Other than that I'm not even proud of the dents and scratches I have. I laugh about them but I wish they were not there. I would prefer my jeep looked "nice".
Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM

http://www.colorado4x4.org/ubb/ultim...;f=11;t=000580

Your bud?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
I agree just about entirely with what Seth wrote, especially the badge or baggage comment; he's such a savvy composer of witticisms at times, quite shocking really.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:10 AM

If you're doing something stupid, I guess it's not something to be proud of. If you're having fun, and you don't mind the body damage, and the rig is setup for it (good safety belts, strong cage), then kewl.
My brother has rolled (more like flopped) his trail rig twice, but it's a trail beater anyway. I've flopped once, mine's a daily driver.
I don't know if he's "proud" of his rolls, but he was having fun when they happened, nothing too terribly stupid. Fun's the name of the game. We wheel to blow off steam from our high-stress jobs.
I don't mind the body damage, but for the bank's sake, I fix it.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

Re: Rollovers.....Should You Be Proud?

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
A guy I know recently completed a wheelin' trip through once on Holy Cross,

Are rollovers to be worn with pride, like an honor badge?

Allen
How the hell one can rollover on Holy Cross He must did that on purpose

He may be trying to be a good sport rather than being a whinner
Old 08-29-2003, 06:16 AM

You'll never know for sure how far you can go until you go there. Schit happens. A roll is not the end of the world. Proud? Depends on who you're talking to.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:41 AM

Oh, I know they happen.

And usually there's a very good, but unfortunate reason to go along with it.

And the only real way to guarantee it won't happen is to keep off the trail.....

But some people just don't care.....at all. They roll almost every time they go out.....or every other time, or whatever.

I just wondered what everyone thought of it happening. Pretty typical of what I thought too, or how I felt. I know I really feel bad for someone when I see a really nice DD go over. That always hurts.....

That guy I know, that was his TJ. I don't really know him, just talked to him once for 5 minutes or so. Nut I know of him. He wheels the crap outta that thing. It started life a a SE with dual 44s.....I have no idea how it's built now. He's rolled quite a bit from what I hear.....and tore up lots of stuff along the way.

And I'm not bagging on him either. It probably sounded like it, but I'm not. It just took me by surprise.....3 rolls in 5 days. Ya don't see or hear of that very often. And without being there I'm not going to judge, it's impossible to do. Maybe he was having fun and said screw it.....or maybe he was trying to make a line where there wasn't one.....

For those that have rolled, how did it happen? Care to share some of your experiences? Maybe a, "I did this wrong", or a "That broke and over we went"? Some learning may result from it. Things not to do, or things to watch or listen for.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-29-2003, 09:46 AM

Both times I was on the gas hard doing fairly vertical loose hill climbs. In both cases, I never lifted.

Ego got the best of me.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:40 PM

My brother did his first just taking a bad line on a downhill slab.
I did mine turning around on a hillside, backed up the hill, it was muddy, my backend slid back down, when it levelled out just slow-mo'd onto the pass side.
My brother's second time, he made it up a ledge, decided to take a more difficult line so backed down the ledge he just climbed.