Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 10-04-2004, 04:15 PM

Angry Bad quality paint job on my jeep

Has anyone else seen any swirl marks and what looks to be scratches
under the clear coat? I got a 04 Cherokee and the paint job is the
pits. Had the rep come out and look and she said that is just the
quality that jeep puts out on all of its jeeps. You can not really
see it when it is not a bright sunny day but when it is it is very
noticeable. I was hoping the marks could be polished out but they
can not as they are below the clear coat and will not come out.
Any help would be nice as I paid for a great paint job I thought but
it really is not showroom quality at all as they advertise.
Lindel

Old 10-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Reggae

What is your definition of polishing out? I hope you didn't use some kind of orbital power polisher or something like that.

I personally never heard of swirl marks under the clear coat. I do hear complaints about Jeep paint quality all the time, but never swirl marks under the clear coat.

Is your jeep black?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 PM

Bad Quality Paint

I hand waxed my Jeep with many differant waxes but never a buffer or anything like that.
I do not know if they really are under the clear coat but they will not hand wax out and Jeep rep say they are normal and just the quality they put out.
I will take picture when I can get them and post so you can see.
Thanks
Lindel
Old 10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Reggae

What is the color? Do the affected spots look hazy?

That's good that you hand polish. I, for one, approve.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:07 AM

Thumbs down Bad Quality Paint Job

I have put together a webpage that shows the pictures of what the
jeep looks like and the problem.
Please take a look at
http://www.vendweb.com/Jeep.htm
Thanks
Lindel
Old 10-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Reggae

The story of bad treatment from a Jeep dealership sounds all too familiar. Sorry about that man. I don't know what to say. I had my own run-ins with a local dealer, and I just don't believe in them anymore.

I recommend, that you register on the Corvette and LS1 forums, and ask what people over there think of the swirl marks, what do they think caused them, and how to get rid of them.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10
http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

The reason I am sending you there because I know that people who use Zaino products hang out there. Zaino Bros make the best appearance care products IMHO, and the people who use Zaino generally know their shiznat.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Well, cars tend to have some "swirling" in the paint, as far as I've ever seen with all the cars my family has been through over the years and with me generally being the one stuck waxing them.

I've never seen anything like what is in the pictures you took of your jeep.

It looks like the car got waxed with sandpaper.

You're going to have to start complaining until the dealership gets sick of you.

I had a Ford Mustang with roof paint that started oxidizing after 2 years. I had to complain a lot, eventually getting them to send out the "special ford paint technician" (YEAH RIGHT) before the dealership/ford decided to pony up and have the roof repainted under warranty.

If complaining doesn't work, I'd start thinking about using the Lemon Law, if your state has one.

I think that's the only way you are going to be able to get that issue resolved.

On a side note, you had better start thinking on how you are going to present your case. From looking at your photos, the first thing that came to my mind, is that you waxed your car with a rock in the buffing pad, so you have to beleive that is going to be the first thing out of the dealership's mouth.

Start tracking down all the people that you spoke to about the problem at first. That sales rep that told you to bring the car back and they'd take care of it. Find him and hold him to his word. You need witnesses and you need to be a pain in the butt so the dealership will take care of your issue just to make you go away.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Administrator

At some point in time, someone has buffed your rig with a contaminated polish cloth, or an orbital buffer that was contaminated.

If you wax it and the swirls go away temporarily, they are in the clear coat and not the base coat. Try that.

Keep on the dealer.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

I agree with Blaine - looks like something wasn't right during a vehicle detailing operation. You may be able to have it wet sanded out as a solution but it doesn't appear to me to be the dealers responsibility to correct it. Get an opinion form a very good professional detailer. You won't solve that mess on your own.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:47 PM

Well some of the pics he posted have a fairly normal amount of swirling. I've seen similar on vehicles I've owned and on friend's vehicles, even people who are super anal about how and what they wax with.

Some of the other pictures though, are not normal. The clear coat was abraded somehow.

My guess would be the person who did the post sale prep work on the WJ just before it was driven off the lot.

That's just a guess though.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
My guess would be the person who did the post sale prep work on the WJ just before it was driven off the lot.

That's just a guess though.
That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the pictures. And I agree - we really don't have a way of knowing.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
That begs the question of why he even accepted the vehicle if that was how it went down.

Now this is not to say that I think Jeep does a great job on their paint. One look at my hood with the cracked clearcoat convinces me otherwise. However in this case, it appears to me to be a detailing fault and not a manufacturing flaw.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to neuroplague
Hi, This paint job reminds me of when my Dad and I bought a Dodge Ramcharger years ago. The paint looked beautiful when we picked it up, but when the sun hit it on certain angles it looked horrible. So we took it back to the dealer who said this was normal and there was nothing he could do about it. My Dad was about ready to drive the truck up this guys ass when we left, so a call to Chrysler Corp. forced the dealer to repaint the truck. A few days later we picked up the truck and it had pitting, orange peel and cracking clear coat... we looked at the dealer and asked him if they painted it with a roller... he just looked at us and expected that it to be acceptable.... A screaming cursing name calling argument and 3 paint jobs later, Chrysler Corp. told us to take it to a body shop and they will pick up the tab. This was the result we were looking for as the professional paint job which included stripping the truck down to bare metal cost Chrysler about $6000.00 a really long apology letter to us, an upgraded warrenty to make up for our headaches and the dealer ****ing himself everytime my Dad or I walked through the door. Sometimes, the only way to get results is to go above the dealers head and talk to the manufacturer directly. Oh and if you guys are curious .. do not shop at Security Dodge in Amityville, NY.