Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 PM

Aluminium work

I hoping you folks can help me here. I inherited an aluminium trailer basket that is about 4'x3'. It is designed to attach to a trailer hitch. Not a good place to run trails with.
I would like to narrow it so that I can make an over the spare tire trail rack. Just to hold the lighter items of my gear such as sleeping bags and other light items.
What would be the best way to cut then re-attach the ends? A grinder seems a little messy. I was thinking of putting my air cutting tool to work. When it comes time to put it all together, will Mig welding hold aluminium?
I do have some scrap steel I can use to attached a bracket of sorts to the bumper. But I don't believe I can weld steel to aluminium. (newbie at welding) So, I need a little advice on connecting all of this together.
If all else, I can just recycle it for a few bucks.

Jason
Old 06-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Re: Aluminium work

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
I hoping you folks can help me here. I inherited an aluminium trailer basket that is about 4'x3'. It is designed to attach to a trailer hitch. Not a good place to run trails with.
I would like to narrow it so that I can make an over the spare tire trail rack. Just to hold the lighter items of my gear such as sleeping bags and other light items.
What would be the best way to cut then re-attach the ends? A grinder seems a little messy. I was thinking of putting my air cutting tool to work. When it comes time to put it all together, will Mig welding hold aluminium?
I do have some scrap steel I can use to attached a bracket of sorts to the bumper. But I don't believe I can weld steel to aluminium. (newbie at welding) So, I need a little advice on connecting all of this together.
If all else, I can just recycle it for a few bucks.

Jason
A picture would help.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

I don't have a picture with me but it looks just like one of these.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_9901_9901

Maybe 4'x3' is a little off.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
I don't have a picture with me but it looks just like one of these.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_9901_9901

Maybe 4'x3' is a little off.
It will cut quite readily with a jig saw and you can have it tig welded back together.

If you decide not to, offer it up to someone before you recycle it. Being lightweight is a fairly desireable quality for the camping jeepers.

You may consider modifying it a bit to be an inside rack above the rear cargo area as well.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
You may consider modifying it a bit to be an inside rack above the rear cargo area as well.
Thanks Blaine. You just gave me a few more ideas to toss around. Sounds easier and just a short trip to the hardware store.