Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
dennisuello

solid body mounts

two of three body mounts are bent on both sides of my TJ. I have a 1" BL. I was planning to cut the stock ones off and replace/relocate them up higher. instead of reusing stock rubber mounts, how about just using a 1" BL puck as a spacer and running a bolt through the new mount and into the body. (see pic) since i will be doing this to only 2 mounts on each side, i don't think it will put too much stress on those mounts. or will it?
that way i'll be able to get those bolts way out of the way.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Re: solid body mounts

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
two of three body mounts are bent on both sides of my TJ. I have a 1" BL. I was planning to cut the stock ones off and replace/relocate them up higher. instead of reusing stock rubber mounts, how about just using a 1" BL puck as a spacer and running a bolt through the new mount and into the body. (see pic) since i will be doing this to only 2 mounts on each side, i don't think it will put too much stress on those mounts. or will it?
that way i'll be able to get those bolts way out of the way.

Just move the mount up and re-use the OEM rubber mounts.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Blaine's suggestion is my plan for the 6 on the sides.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Body Mounts??, what are those??
Old 02-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by papromike
Body Mounts??, what are those??
You'll know after you trash your uni-body and realize that you need an SWB ... just ask Jeff Cassens!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
You'll know after you trash your uni-body and realize that you need an SWB ... just ask Jeff Cassens!
1st of all my Unibody isnt a unibody anymore, the entire length of the unibody framerails are capped in .250 wall boxed tubing...so I am not worried about that part..

I also dont go by other peoples experiences.. ZJs and Xjs are VASTLY different in the way they operate... similar in size but completely different in the suspension department.. Not sure that matters.. but just making observations.

And as far as the SWB comment, not sure I agree with that either..

I mean Look at some of the rigs up there.. they are running 105-108" wheel bases... my wheel base is 107", so its not that long.. again I am also driving a station wagon so we will see..

but I dont want to make any statements or claims at this point, I have no Idea of what I am getting myself into AND I would never want to **** off the rock gods..
Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
1st of all my Unibody isnt a unibody anymore, the entire length of the unibody framerails are capped in .250 wall boxed tubing...so I am not worried about that part..

I also dont go by other peoples experiences.. ZJs and Xjs are VASTLY different in the way they operate... similar in size but completely different in the suspension department.. Not sure that matters.. but just making observations.

I mean Look at some of the rigs up there.. they are running 105-108" wheel bases... my wheel base is 107", so its not that long.. again I am also driving a station wagon so we will see..

but I dont want to make any statements or claims at this point, I have no Idea of what I am getting myself into AND I would never want to **** off the rock gods..
Please imortalize this post.

Trust me the difference in body size FAVORS the XJ...and I didn't ruin the unibody either - it was the REST of the body!

You'll have a good time - just remember **** can and does happen.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 AM

All I was saying, and apparently I didn't use enough winkies, grins, pokes in the side, etc., is that denting up a lowly TJ is much easier to take than a shiny XJ/WJ/ZJ. Something about popping glass ...

Have fun, watch your spotters and keep patient and you'll likely get through unscathed. I don't recall too much body damage on the rookies on the RR's I've been on. It is after you've been out there a half dozen times and get a bit comfortable that the rocks get a bit more friendly. I didn't pick up so much as a scratch the first several times, but that first dent on Sunbonnet released the Cracken on my Jeep and its never looked the same since. Last time out my Jeep was a pachinko ball looking to find its way through the pegs.

Have fun, I'm jealous that I can't make it. Please take lots of pix!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
All I was saying, and apparently I didn't use enough winkies, grins, pokes in the side, etc., is that denting up a lowly TJ is much easier to take than a shiny XJ/WJ/ZJ. Something about popping glass ...

Have fun, watch your spotters and keep patient and you'll likely get through unscathed. I don't recall too much body damage on the rookies on the RR's I've been on. It is after you've been out there a half dozen times and get a bit comfortable that the rocks get a bit more friendly. I didn't pick up so much as a scratch the first several times, but that first dent on Sunbonnet released the Cracken on my Jeep and its never looked the same since. Last time out my Jeep was a pachinko ball looking to find its way through the pegs.

Have fun, I'm jealous that I can't make it. Please take lots of pix!
Jeff thanks alot.. YES the body on my ZJ is pretty straight.. I have had it since it was brand new so I have wheeled it for 10 years now.. with only a few small scathes..

this will definity be the toughest trail I have taken it on, I will be VERY carefull or at least as carefull as I can and basically at this point just hope for the best..

I am a pretty good listener when it comes to following the spotters, I have NO ego at all out there and I know I will be with people who have ALOT more experience than I do out there so the best I can do is just hope the jeep does what I ask it too..

My only concern at this point is that My new axles arent done in time for this run so I am going to try and make the ones under it last ONE more Run... eitherway.. I am sure it will be a fun time and an "experience" I wont forget soon. I am looking forward to the Camaraderie
Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:

The #1 reason why XJ/ZJ drivers think we have issues with them is perfectly exhibited in this thread. First off, you have no business in this thread. Not only do we not care if you have body mounts, the chances of you knowing what to do with ours is even less than the amount we care whether or not you have any.

So, by popping into a thread you have no business in, you've managed to turn this into a frame vs. unibody vs. wheelbase fiasco and if you'd just minded your own business, that comraderie you speak of would still be well and whole with no chance of irritating anyone with a frame or the rock gods.

the grin is in lieu of a ban.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Love you Blaine..
Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
... eitherway.. I am sure it will be a fun time and an "experience" I wont forget soon. I am looking forward to the Camaraderie
Exactly! My first trip out was one of the most exhilerating things I've ever experienced. You will have a blast!!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I am a pretty good listener when it comes to following the spotters
no worries ... if you don't listen, Blaine will just start shouting (louder) at yah
Old 02-06-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Love you Blaine..
That is about the only response you had in this situation.