Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 AM

Question another question for you brainiacs

Hi all,
Hope all is going well for the festive build up, anyway I have a 4l Cherokee (auto) in 2wd... sometimes pulling away from a roundabout I get a feeling that I have a flat to the rear of the car (honest!)
anybody able to make sense of this?
Have a great christmas everone!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Loose/broken rear track bar mount?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 AM

hey thanks for that.
I've been underneath & wiggled the wheels. bars & suspension & everything feels like it has no play on it, is there a test for this & would it figure that it's not happening all the time?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:08 AM

With your leaf springs not even sure you have a track bar now. Check for play in spring bushings, a cracked leaf may have a rusty line through it, loose u bolts, loose wheel or bent rim?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Thanks again shall be doing it first thing... would it still be intermittent?
Cheers again
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM

Almost all of those could be intermittent. There are so many possibilities, it is hard to pin down. Wheel or carrier bearings going out, etc. Pretty much have to get under there and do visual on anything that might move, and wiggling or shaking may help. It might help to jack the weight off the rear and shake.
Also, your front track bar(if it has one) can mimick your problem.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:10 PM

FWIW, the '01 Cherokee I drive at work just started to do the same thing (with 106k miles on it). It'll be going to the shop soon and I'll let you know if they figure it out...which is highly doubtful since they haven't been able to fix damn near anything I've written up so far.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-22-2006, 01:59 AM

Thanks again, it would be great if you could keep me informed... as I wil with my progress!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 AM

Well, jacked it up, waggled everything, no noise/play... mind it feels like it's coming from the drivers side, so that's the side I checked!
just to go over it again, when pulling away at a roundabout, sometimes (nce a month say) it just feels like you have a flat, but the car doesn't behave strangely apart from the dragging sensation, i've checked for uneven tyre ware, as usual with me, its a strange one!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Re: another question for you brainiacs

Quote:
Originally posted by pzebz
Hi all,
Hope all is going well for the festive build up, anyway I have a 4l Cherokee (auto) in 2wd... sometimes pulling away from a roundabout I get a feeling that I have a flat to the rear of the car (honest!)
anybody able to make sense of this?
Have a great christmas everone!
Take a look at the rear leaf packs. You could have a broken leaf in there that acts up under acceleration and hitting a bump just right.

Look for lines of rust that run vertical along the sides of the pack and pull the tires so you can look close to the axle tube.