Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Kimberley Kamper

Well, I though I'd start off the section by showing my "new to me" trailer I went down to look at it today and I was really impressed by the quality and what it has to offer. It is a bit heavy coming in at 1,900 lbs, but Blaine has already figured out some areas where we can shave some weight. Here is a pic of one in action, and watch for some more pictures and modifications to the TJ in order to pull it nicely.

For more information, here is the Kimberley Kamper website
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/kamper/overview.php
Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Well, I though I'd start off the section by showing my "new to me" trailer I went down to look at it today and I was really impressed by the quality and what it has to offer. It is a bit heavy coming in at 1,900 lbs, but Blaine has already figured out some areas where we can shave some weight. Here is a pic of one in action, and watch for some more pictures and modifications to the TJ in order to pull it nicely.

Well, after seeing it hooked up to your rig, I was astounded at how well it looked and how little it squatted the back of the rig.

I am happy you decided to go and look at it after I visited it yesterday. The fit, finish, quality and how well thought out it is makes a lot of the alternatives out there seem like home built garage projects in comparison.

The locking surge brake that runs actual calipers instead of drum brakes is a nice touch as well. Much simpler to work on although I didn't see a real easy way to bleed them should you ever need to.

I will say that I've seen lighter duty frames under 20' boat trailers. That frame is ridiculously overbuilt for a sub 2000 lb trailer.

I am looking forward to helping you shave a few pounds off of it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Well, after seeing it hooked up to your rig, I was astounded at how well it looked and how little it squatted the back of the rig.
Yes, pretty amazing. I was waiting for the rear end to sag, and I was pleasantly surprised. This trailer is very well balanced. I recently sold my Body Armor rear bumper/carrier and bought a Hanson rear bumper with no carrier (same as the Currie bumper you guys are running). This alone had my Jeep rear end go up between 1 and 2 inches due to the weight reduction. The amazing thing about all this is that when the trailer is hooked up, it is virtually back to where it sat with the Body Armor carrier (although I don't have the spare on yet).

I think that with the rework of the suspension on the TJ and the addition of the Rancho 9000, it will be much nicer. Being able to "firm up" the rear shocks when the trailer is hooked up will help.

Quote:
I am happy you decided to go and look at it after I visited it yesterday. The fit, finish, quality and how well thought out it is makes a lot of the alternatives out there seem like home built garage projects in comparison.
Well, a big thanks to you for taking the time to look at it for me, I know you had a lot going on this weekend and I really appreciate the effort. The thing that convinced me to come down at take a look was our conversation Saturday night.

Blaine: Lawrence, I just looked at the trailer.
Me: Ok, so what do you think?
Blaine: I can't find a single reason why you shouldn't buy it, except for the weight but I already have ideas on that.

If something is not right, you have no reservations saying it, you are one of the pickiest guy I know. That comment alone had me call Frank to tell him I would come down.

Well, the Aussies sure know how to build trailers, no one comes even close to this. This surely beats the alternative which would have been to build a trailer from scratch, as there is nothing that really fits my needs when going out with the family.

Quote:
The locking surge brake that runs actual calipers instead of drum brakes is a nice touch as well. Much simpler to work on although I didn't see a real easy way to bleed them should you ever need to.
The brakes are something, aren't they? And they work When that light turned red in front of us, there was no problem whatsoever stopping the TJ, and I wasn't even pressing that hard on the brake pedal. I have all the confidence that you can find a way to put bleeders on, we are talking brakes, something you know a little about

Quote:
I will say that I've seen lighter duty frames under 20' boat trailers. That frame is ridiculously overbuilt for a sub 2000 lb trailer.
I am looking forward to helping you shave a few pounds off of it.
Yes, the frame is insane, I don't know that you could destroy it even if you tried. Now, it will have to go on a SlimFast diet... Aluminum, Yeah Baby Yeah!
BTW, I poked around the Aussie site and on the 2007 models, the whole front rack which houses the kitchen, J-cans, and all, is now out of aluminum.
Thanks for helping me with this.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

very nice Lawrence!
did you get it for the price you had hoped to get it for?
i look forward to seeing it in person.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341 View Post
very nice Lawrence!
did you get it for the price you had hoped to get it for?
i look forward to seeing it in person.
Thanks Erik, now I don't have to lust after your twinkie anymore

We ended up splitting the difference and I didn't want to fart around as I knew I would have probably lost it. After doing a lot of research, there are several sources that claim there were between 6 and 8 of them imported in the US between 2002 and 2006, before the importer went belly up. So, it's not like you can find another one easily. If there are others in the US, they were probably shipped by the owners themselves.

Here is another pic from the Kimberley website. Check this frame out

PS: For anyone interested, I know of another one available. It is a 2006 model left over. I also know of a Kamparoo for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:

We had one of those at our shop for a while, and they were very nice. That trailer may have been one of the 2 we had for a while

Good choice for off road camping, not sure I'd tow it over the rubicon like I did the smaller trailers
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM

You officially suck.

I had big, big plans for my M-101 trailer and turning it into an affordable, compact, lightweight, ultimate camping/support trailer.

Now I see this.

I've spent 2 days trying to figure out how I can transform what I currently have into what you just bought.

Guess what?

Not possible.

Did I mention you suck?

Nice trailer. I'm extremely envious.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?

Last edited by Allen; 10-01-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
We had one of those at our shop for a while, and they were very nice. That trailer may have been one of the 2 we had for a while
Thanks Quinn. Yep that's one of the two you had at the shop. The owner came to buy one of Mario's trailer, but when he saw the Kimberley sitting there, he didn't think twice and ended up buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Good choice for off road camping, not sure I'd tow it over the rubicon like I did the smaller trailers
Don't tell that to those crazy Aussies, they take theirs just about anywhere their rigs can take them.

When I was looking for a trailer, the criteria was to be comfortable enough for my wife, daughter and I, and to be able to do the Mojave Trail. Anything harder than that and I am setting camp and going wheeling "sans trailer" from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
You officially suck.
Did I mention you suck?
Nice trailer. I'm extremely envious.
Thanks Allen, did I mention it is like a Las Vegas suite on wheels? Think 5" thick memory foam mattress
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Allen, did I mention it is like a Las Vegas suite on wheels? Think 5" thick memory foam mattress
I just measured.....

I can fit an infant's crib mattress into my 101. With ease.

That should be comfortable.

Yep, you suck.

Wish I was there to help out on the weight reduction and various other projects.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM

That thing looks pretty nifty, even if it is on the heavy side.

Seems like everything now a days hovers around the 2000 lb range.

How long does it take to get the tent part set up?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaceman View Post
That thing looks pretty nifty, even if it is on the heavy side.

Seems like everything now a days hovers around the 2000 lb range.

How long does it take to get the tent part set up?
One person... 2 minutes tops, and that is with Blaine sitting on the sidewalk and watching the whole thing. It is a very clever design.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM

2 Minutes. Very nice. Looks like a very nice set up for family camping.

I wish someone would come up with something like this that weighed less. Everything is so darn heavy.

Everything that was built 20 years ago is so much lighter. You could get a hard sided trailer camper that weighted 1800 lbs back then with sleeping area, eating area, stove, etc.

Oh well, maybe the move back to smaller cars and hybrids will get R/V companies to start building lighter again.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

I know what you mean Shalom. It is very difficult to find something that weighs less than 1,500 lbs. Even those small Aliners or pop-up campers get up there in weight, they tend to be around 1,800-1,900 lbs.

The only other one I know that is comparable in tent folding technique is the Kamparoo, and people who own one tend to like it, but it is not in the same league as the Kimberley as far as construction. However, it is lighter and it has the same concept for the sleeping area.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about weight Lawrence. I keep going in circles over and over trying to compare stuff.

I think eventually, I'm just going to find an older, in good condition pop tent.

I've seen older colman's (1990-1995) in good condition for $800-1200 on craigslist all the time.

They seem to run about 1500 lbs or so, which is about all I'd want to pull with a TJ.

I wish those quicksilver pop tents weren't so elusive or sketchy. They look really nice for the weight, but I wouldn't pay those retail prices. They are way over priced for what you get.

Oh well, I'll stick with my utility trailer until I can come up with something better. It has actually worked out to be quite convenient for camping, so I'm happy.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Shalom,

Yes, the older Coleman weigh less. The new version (Fleetwood Santa Fe) comes in at 1,870 lbs.

Here is a Kamparoo, it weighs 950 lbs. This particular one in the photo was for sale a couple of months back on www.ih8mud.com. It was in Colorado and I don't know if the guy sold it or not. There is a link to a bunch of pictures in the thread. Just do a search for Kamparoo.

The dealer in Canada currently has one for sale and I was considering it. I have all the info at home and I can email you the contact info, pics and prices if you are interested.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks Lawrence, but I'm out of making any decisions about anything like this for at least the next year or two. No point really.

I'm happy with what I have right now. I'll find something eventually.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Lawrence,

I am also very jealous. Blaine showed me the brochure and told me how clever that trailer was. The kitchen is especially cool - how it pulls out and it has a huge living space.

I am going to sell my current "overlander" RV (the ugly brown motorhome that loves to get stuck in JV) soon and will need a light trailer that I can do the 3 S's that are important to me (shower, sleep, $hit). Shalom and I have talked a bunch and it is true that the old trailers were very light compared to the pigs of today.

It is nearly impossible to find a newer trailer with a shower and potty (or even JUST a shower) that is less then 2,000 pounds and $15K.

I refuse to spend big money on an "off road" trailer that doesn't have a shower - whether internal or external. For me I'm not going to run any real trails in it so I can pull a pop-up or older hard side along any fire road.

I've also decided that the TJ is truly a lame vehicle for anything other then wheeling and having fun with only a couple people for a short time. The storage is abysmal. My wife and I were watching TV and Jeep was talking about their 0 percent financing and she says "too bad you spent so much on your Jeep - we could get a new 4 door KJ Unlimited Rubicon and have all that room....

Oh well. I'm also cheaper then Erik right now and only want to spend south of 2K for this trailer - we'll be getting a new motorhome in a couple of years so I just need a place to stay in JV for a while.

Now, if someone could build a smart off road trailer that was light and reasonably priced - they could probably sell a bunch of them....

Jeff
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
the 3 S's that are important to me (shower, sleep, $hit).
I hear you on that. This one has it all, Queen size bed for the sleeping part, and a room addition for the potty and shower. It currently doesn't have a shower but I don't think it will be hard to fab one up.

Quote:
I've also decided that the TJ is truly a lame vehicle for anything other then wheeling and having fun with only a couple people for a short time. The storage is abysmal. My wife and I were watching TV and Jeep was talking about their 0 percent financing and she says "too bad you spent so much on your Jeep - we could get a new 4 door KJ Unlimited Rubicon and have all that room....

Oh well. I'm also cheaper then Erik right now and only want to spend south of 2K for this trailer - we'll be getting a new motorhome in a couple of years so I just need a place to stay in JV for a while.
As lame as it is, it still allows me to have some fun and more importantly, I would have never met so many incredible folks if it weren't for the Jeep. So, it has its upside. Last week, my local dealer called me to let me know he had a Red JK Unlimited on the lot, and I went over to drool on my lunch break. When my wife saw the brochure I brought home, she said that if I get a JK, the TJ is hers. It would be nice, but I don't need another money pit.

This project is not going to be cheap. The trailer itself is a pretty penny, and mods to both the trailer and the TJ will most likely happen, but I am not looking to get an RV. I don't have the room for it nor the vacation time to truly use it, and me behind the wheel of one of those.... well, think Robin Williams in the movie "RV".

Quote:
Now, if someone could build a smart off road trailer that was light and reasonably priced - they could probably sell a bunch of them....
Nidacore
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Damn, seeing that picture makes me want one! Where could you find a beach like that where you could camp out so close to the surf?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
I'm also cheaper then Erik right now and only want to spend south of 2K for this trailer
Hey, I resemble that remark!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Damn, seeing that picture makes me want one! Where could you find a beach like that where you could camp out so close to the surf?

Pismo beach?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaceman View Post
Pismo beach?

... and be run over by twerps on their ATVs? I'd rather be at the office.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
... and be run over by twerps on their ATVs? I'd rather be at the office.
You tow out one of Matt's backhoes and dig a moat - that will keep the ATVs out.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Pismo wasn't that bad, the one time I was there. Most of the ATVers stayed up near the dunes. At least from what I saw. We did circle the vehicles though, just in case.

TDS now.... there you actually need some sort of defensive ring.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Quote:
Fraser Island is one such place

There are a few places there where folks break camp right by the ocean. Most people prefer to camp a little further away, where tree cover starts.

Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Pismo/Oceano Dunes is one area. You can camp right on the beach and go play in the dunes. We went there last year and rented an ATV for the day, lots of fun, but after a whole day out there, a dune is a dune, and I was ready to pack the next day.

One area that is completely wild is "Competition Hill", it is like a scene out of the Mad Max movie. It is a big bowl lined up with tons of folks and bonfires, and people (usually fairly drunk) race each other 4-wide around the bowl It goes on all night.

Two things you need if you go out there: 1) earplugs if you want to get some sleep b/c guys run all night long and 2) a potty b/c the bathrooms are beyond gross and don't always lock (my wife discovered that the hard way )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Fraser Island is one such place

Did the TJ fit in the plane to get it there?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Did the TJ fit in the plane to get it there?
Ha ha ha, that would be a trick I want to see.

Jeeps get to the island by ferry:

Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
just finally poked in here rather then reading the thread highlighted in the directory, and wow! awesome trailer Lawrence! I look forward to seeing it's features in person.