Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-16-2003, 08:13 AM

Rear axle suggestion?

Looking for some input. I twisted a tube on my 8.8 rear in my TJ. Not exactly sure how you do that on a linked supension, but I did. I got the twist out, but it is still slid out about 1/16"-1/8" and the wheel is not exactly parallel to the frame. I think in the grand scheme of things, I may end up parting it out and getting another axle.

I run 35" MTRs and think I will stay that way. I have the 4.0 and no 4:1. I run rocks and don't get too insane with the throttle. This is the only problem I have ever had with a rear axle and have broken 2 297x joints in the front 30. . I guess a ProRock 60 might be best, but I don't want to spend that much coin and it would likely be overkill. How many HP9 R&Ps has the group seen go? It worries me to spend that much on an axle and have the R&P as the weak point. I love the idea of the clearance of the shaved nine and the DS clearance would be great with the HP, but I would rather fix a ujoint on the trail as a ring gear.

If I go low pinion, would I be as well off with a Toy 8" or 8.4"? I like the idea of the third member pretty well and the all steel housing a lot - I am going to triagulate my rear suspension at the same time.

Sorry for tyhe long post, but thanks for any advice. Anybody know where I can get a good axle that is used? Did Beast40 sell his HP9? I tried to email him last week.

-Bart