Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-16-2003, 09:54 AM

TJ Rear Axle Question

I double posted, but wasn't sure where was appropriate. Looking for some input. I twisted a tube on my 8.8 rear in my TJ. Not exactly sure how you do that on a linked supension, but I did. I got the twist out, but it is still slid out about 1/16"-1/8" and the wheel is not exactly parallel to the frame. I think in the grand scheme of things, I may end up parting it out and getting another axle.

I run 35" MTRs and think I will stay that way. I have the 4.0 and no 4:1. I run rocks and don't get too insane with the throttle. This is the only problem I have ever had with a rear axle and have broken 2 297x joints in the front 30. . I guess a ProRock 60 might be best, but I don't want to spend that much coin and it would likely be overkill. How many HP9 R&Ps has the group seen go? It worries me to spend that much on an axle and have the R&P as the weak point. I love the idea of the clearance of the shaved nine and the DS clearance would be great with the HP, but I would rather fix a ujoint on the trail as a ring gear.

If I go low pinion, would I be as well off with a Toy 8" or 8.4"? I like the idea of the third member pretty well and the all steel housing a lot - I am going to triagulate my rear suspension at the same time.

Sorry for tyhe long post, but thanks for any advice. Anybody know where I can get a good axle that is used? Did Beast40 sell his HP9? I tried to email him last week.

-Bart
Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 AM

Out of curiosity, maybe you can explain where on the axle you twisted the tube and what you were doing. Stuff breaks but you don't hear of to many 8.8's getting chewed up by rigs running 35's. May be easier to re-tube it or possibly, get another housing and swap the stuff from your tweaked axle over. Pro-Rocs are nice but spendy - probably the the last axle you'll have to deal with though.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:13 AM

Sorry man, I sold the 9" last fall.

If your only going to run 35s the HP9 should hold up just fine. Anything more though and I'd go HP60.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:19 AM

Thanks guys. I hate I missed your axle there, Beast.

As far as the 8.8 carnage: I think it was a day where I went down into the 4' deep gulley and turned up it. After this I climbed a very steep hill with ruts in it that I had to use some throttle to get up. I bent my rear track bar and got that fixed. Much later, I realized something was screwed up after losing a wheel (don't even ask) and DS joint. Anyway, the tube was twisted. I had it welded, too.

-Bart
Old 06-16-2003, 12:35 PM
AA reject

I ran the HP 9 in my last rig with 35's with no problems. Blaine runs 37's on his and its still holding, but I don't think he gets too throttle crazy.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:18 PM

It would probably be fine with 35s and a good match for my HP30 up front. However, I would feel like a real dunce if I tear up a R&P and get stranded. With the LP, at least I can replace the ujoint and flange easily.

-Bart
Old 06-19-2003, 05:40 AM

Bart,
Sorry to hear that your F8.8 "spun a tube". This is a fairly common problem on the F8.8. Too bad you didnt have the tubes welded to the center section when all the brackets were being welded on.

Your correct, cant be fixed now. Toss the housing and start over. And if it was me, I'd go with a 9" or a D60HP.

I'm a F8.8 fan, but in your case, the expense of a new housing, and brackets for the TJ are gonna be spendy.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
Bart,
Too bad you didnt have the tubes welded to the center section when all the brackets were being welded on.
In his second post he said he did have it welded.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:06 PM

Yep, it was stich welded all the way around. I can reuse my RE brackets from this housing if I wanted, but I am going to tringulate the rear suspension during the swap - hence my leaning toward the steel housing of the Toy or 9".

-Bart