Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 PM

Unhappy Currie H.D. drag link not to be uses with > 4" lift??

While in Moab I noticed some slack and popping noise in my front end. While checking it out we noticed considerable slack in the socket/ball joint of the pitman arm end of the Currie drag link. Luckily this is the end that can be replaced; I called Currie to inquire if any other end would interchange with the Currie. To my disappointment I was informed it was Currie specific and I would have to order one from them.
The person then went on to ask how old was the DL I told him less than a year with very little exposure to mud/water and was greased every 3k miles when oil was changed or exposed to mud/water. He then inquired how much suspension lift I was running. When I told him 6" with a drop pitman arm his reply was "no wonder they are only designed for a max of 4" lift? He caught me off guard with this comment. He gave me the impression that this was common knowledge. If this is a matter of fact I sure wished the sales persons would have forewarned me of this before I shelled out $$$ for it.. Anyone else heard of such? TIA, Chuck
Old 05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I've got a Full Traction 6" lift with a DPA and my steering is holding up fine so far. I'm not sure what the difference between a 4" lift with a stock pitman arm and a 6" with a DPA is, but it doesn't seem like it would make any difference with respect to the draglink. I have heard that if the droop is too much for the joint to handle that things can bend.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Re: Currie H.D. drag link not to be uses with > 4" lift??

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck K.
While in Moab I noticed some slack and popping noise in my front end. While checking it out we noticed considerable slack in the socket/ball joint of the pitman arm end of the Currie drag link. Luckily this is the end that can be replaced; I called Currie to inquire if any other end would interchange with the Currie. To my disappointment I was informed it was Currie specific and I would have to order one from them.
The person then went on to ask how old was the DL I told him less than a year with very little exposure to mud/water and was greased every 3k miles when oil was changed or exposed to mud/water. He then inquired how much suspension lift I was running. When I told him 6" with a drop pitman arm his reply was "no wonder they are only designed for a max of 4" lift? He caught me off guard with this comment. He gave me the impression that this was common knowledge. If this is a matter of fact I sure wished the sales persons would have forewarned me of this before I shelled out $$$ for it.. Anyone else heard of such? TIA, Chuck
No worries Chuck. I have a few spare ends laying around courtesy of Mr. Currie and his desire to keep us on the trails.

I would recommend that you take the end at the pitman and add some more bend to it or I can do it to the one I can send you.

Although they weren't specifically designed for less than a specific amount of lift, a TRE only has a limited range of motion. If you were a designer would you center the travel needed around 6" kits that you don't sell or produce or around the 4" kits you do produce and sell?

Personally I don't let the specificity of their ends bother me. I have a range of parts on my rig common only to my rig and not interchangeable with parts from some chevy, dodge or ford.

If you think their ends are proprietary, it took 5+ years for the aftermarket to produce replacement ends for the WJ and until then were only available from the dealer for 75 bucks each in some cases.

In any event, I can solve your problem with parts out of the magic cabinet, let me know.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Thank you very much Blaine I will PM you..