Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 PM

I have no sympathy for China

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/wo...o_interstitial

Cry me a river. I'm sorry people died - that is truly horrable, but if the Chinese people decide they are fed up with their lousy form of government which doesn't enforce building codes or care about it's people then they need to stand up and fight.

You want earthquake proof schools and buildings - DEMAND them from your government. These things didn't happen overnight here and they are hard, but in the end aren't they worth it.

Freedom is extremely hard. The countries that have it have earned it over and over again. The fact that China is essentially a VERY rich third world country is a shame.

The fact that they are "getting" the Olympics is disgusting to me - why give one of the greediest nations on earth any money is beyond me...
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Reggae

?Very rich? means nothing. So China has trillions of dollars in reserves, so what? You can?t build houses out of money, and even if you could, those are not real paper money but just records in electronic databases.

Macroeconomics is not an easy thing to deal with, and China is far from being the worst country in the world in that regard. In fact, according to many experts China is doing quite very well, their growth in the last decades has been phenomenal.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Macroeconomics is not an easy thing to deal with
Amazingly so... One of the few subjects I would actually consider going back to college to study. A rational cause/effect relationship does not seem to apply.

It does seem wrong that we, as a nation, have "improved" ourselves to the point of of being priced out of the world manufacturing market - allowing countries like China to flourish
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm just glad we are there helping them and not fighting them.

Anything we can do to build a better relationship with a country who has a Military that large is great from my perspective.