Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Diesel Ownership Questions

Due to the unimagineable of my mobile weld business doing better than expected right from the start, I MAY be looking at diesel trucks soon.

As always the new vs. used argument comes up...

The contractor I work for is a "Ford Supplier" and as such I qualify for the X-Plan, basically employee pricing. Problem is in about 6 weeks I will lose this benefit. I hate to pass up a big discount if I don't have to.....

So, although I would really prefer a Dodge, I am looking at Fords which in all honesty is my second choice. Basically an F-350 with DRW, auto and diesel.....

Will either go commercial chasis cab (crew cab no matter what) or delete the bed, whichever works to my advantage.

So.....having never owned a diesel, what can I expect?

I know oil changes are more expensive, but that's about it. I do all the maintenance and repairs that I can on what I currently own.....however.....if you've looked under the hood of an '09 or '10 6.4L diesel.....there is like 7 coolers and no room. No room for or to do anything.....

This will be a daily driver with my weld equipent on the back.....roughly 3000 lbs give or take. 60 miles a day minimum.

What am I in for?
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't buy a new Ford right now, maybe in 2011 when their new engine comes out. The 6.0 and 6.4 just aren't holding like the old 7.3. The Dodge is a much better truck when talking newer trucks. However if you are considering used, I'd buy a 2000-2003 Ford with a 7.3 diesel over a Dodge in a second. I love the 7.3 Fords, they are great trucks and run forever. I miss my 2002 Ford Excursion that we sold last year. Aside from normal oil changes, and 15,000 mile transmission services the truck was no more trouble than my gas Ford F350 that I still have, also with 15,000 mile tranny services. My UPS driver bought my Excursion and he is almost to 200,000 with the truck, with regular oil services. A pretty good bang for the buck I'd say. For your use either a 2003 older Ford or used Dodge is a good bet for a long term truck. Diesel really isn't that much work. Yes the oil is more, but I only do every 6 to 10 thousand anyways with diesel oil. On my gas ford I go oil changes about every 5,000 miles on regular oil. Good luck!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
We have an 06 Ram 2500 with 85000 miles and its been nothing but extremely reliable. It returns excellent milage empty or loaded and has plenty of power. My only complaint is the seats SUCK! My 05 had way nicer seats. I'd look for an 04.5 (HO diesel) to early 07 Dodge (last of the 5.9 Cummins). Make sure you get the upgraded seats if you plan on driving alot.

If it were me I would look for a 05-07 with a hosed tranny and drop an Allison trans in there. Then you'd have the ultimate combo - Bulletproof engine/trans combo! The Dodge trans is decent, but its just not a real diesel tranny.
AIM: Dukes69
Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Yogurt Boi

Send a message via AIM to Larry Nickell
A good used 5.9 Cummins with a manual would be a good rig for your purposes. Stay away from the '07 & '08 6.7 Cummins, they have had severe problems associated to the emissions systems. I have an '09 6.7 DRW with the new 6 speed auto. Initially, I was not happy with it as it performed poorly. But I recently discovered it had a bad fan clutch. The clutch looks like a regular viscous clutch, but it also is a 3 speed electric. After it was replaced, I'm quite happy with it. I recently towed both Jeeps to the Rubicon and back at 70 mph with now issues at all. The thing simply hauls ass.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Due to the unimagineable of my mobile weld business doing better than expected right from the start, I MAY be looking at diesel trucks soon.

As always the new vs. used argument comes up...

The contractor I work for is a "Ford Supplier" and as such I qualify for the X-Plan, basically employee pricing. Problem is in about 6 weeks I will lose this benefit. I hate to pass up a big discount if I don't have to.....

So, although I would really prefer a Dodge, I am looking at Fords which in all honesty is my second choice. Basically an F-350 with DRW, auto and diesel.....

Will either go commercial chasis cab (crew cab no matter what) or delete the bed, whichever works to my advantage.

So.....having never owned a diesel, what can I expect?

I know oil changes are more expensive, but that's about it. I do all the maintenance and repairs that I can on what I currently own.....however.....if you've looked under the hood of an '09 or '10 6.4L diesel.....there is like 7 coolers and no room. No room for or to do anything.....

This will be a daily driver with my weld equipent on the back.....roughly 3000 lbs give or take. 60 miles a day minimum.

What am I in for?
Aren't new guys suppose to introduce themselves before they post?

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM

I just did the first oil change (first time doing a diesel) on my 09 Chevy and that oil is like ink. I knew there would be more carbon but man is that stuff is black!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provelogear View Post
I just did the first oil change (first time doing a diesel) on my 09 Chevy and that oil is like ink. I knew there would be more carbon but man is that stuff is black!
Yeah, that part kinda sucks. What sucks worse is when you start it up the first time after the oil change and then check it to see how much more you need to add. Your brandy new oil looks like the crap you just drained out.

Lends a lot of credence that you can not ever tell the condition of your oil by how it looks.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM

Yep, the new oil was just as black when I check it. So, doesn't the introduced carbon help or hurt the lubrication quality of the oil? I know big rigs go millions of miles on an engine so it can't be all bad. I read somewhere oil can be use a long time as long as you could get the impurities out.

Just curious.

Gerald