Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-07-2009, 03:24 PM

How to insulate the tranny shift cable from the header down-tube

I had to install a new shifter cable for my B&M (the shifter from Hell) after it stopped shifting Sunday. The cable itself froze up, possibly from heat from the header. There's no way to avoid routing the shifter cable so it doesn't come within about 2" of the exhaust pipe just forward of where the shifter cable mounts to the transmission.

Ideally, I would place an insulating belly tile from the Space Shuttle between them but the local Harbor Freight Tools store is fresh out of them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Might try some header wrap from a speed shop or Summit Racing.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Header wrap has kept my clutch cable alive in my Mustang without any problems. I've also heard of people using spark plug wire sleeves.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I had to install a new shifter cable for my B&M (the shifter from Hell) after it stopped shifting Sunday. The cable itself froze up, possibly from heat from the header. There's no way to avoid routing the shifter cable so it doesn't come within about 2" of the exhaust pipe just forward of where the shifter cable mounts to the transmission.

Ideally, I would place an insulating belly tile from the Space Shuttle between them but the local Harbor Freight Tools store is fresh out of them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The factory auto shift cable has an insulating sleeve slid over it in the same spot. Nothing special, just the heat resistance coarse fiber cloth with the shiny aluminum on the outside, folded in half and sewn down one side.

Pretty much like a fancy spark plug wire insulator.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks guys, between your help and my Summit catalog I've figured out what it needs. I'm going to wrap both the down pipe and the shifter cable, hopefully this will keep it healthy. I will say this, the new cable has the B&M shifting a lot better now. I think maybe the last cable was defective beyond just having come in bent at both ends as it did.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Thanks guys, between your help and my Summit catalog I've figured out what it needs. I'm going to wrap both the down pipe and the shifter cable, hopefully this will keep it healthy. I will say this, the new cable has the B&M shifting a lot better now. I think maybe the last cable was defective beyond just having come in bent at both ends as it did.

I'd be very wary of wrapping your downpipe with header wrap. BTDT and frankly, it will cause your exhaust piping to become brittle and eventually deteriorate rather quickly. If you want your exhaust done right, get it ceramic coated. Embee Performance in Santa Ana did mine....no complaints.

As for sleeves.....Thermotech makes great stuff and can be ordered through Summit Racing.

http://www.thermotec.com/express-sleeves.html
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Ditto what Robert said, Jerry. Your exhaust will crack right at the end of the header wrap.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Ok, no wrapping of the down pipe. I was kinda worried about the problem you both mentioned since some header manufacturers will void their warranty if they are wrapped. I'll sleeve the shifter cable and add some additional insulation around it instead of wrapping the pipe. Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Just the way Blaine described it.
I use it to shield me auto tranny hoses where they pass too close to the exhaust pipe.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM

I found a 4x6 piece of flat aluminumized insulator at my local speedshop and wrapped it around the cable giving it several layers worth of insulation. It's aluminum on the outside with thermal insulation inside. It's not pretty the way I had to wrap and secure it in place but I think I'll be ok now. I expected to use stainless steel zip ties to hold it in place but not at $18 for 5-6 of them.

Thanks for the help guys. At least the shifter is not nearly as stiff now with the new cable as it was with the first cable.