Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-25-2003, 07:22 PM

Anybody else using OziExplorer? Would like to trade DRG's

First, many thanks to Stu for[list=1][*]turning me on to Jeeping[*]convincing me to get a Toughbook CFM-34 ($800 on EBay)[*]try out OziExplorer![/list=1]

I am trying out OziExplorer as an alternative to TOPO! for use while 4 wheeling. I won't be able to build elevation profile data for my routes, but I don't know how interesting/useful that information is anyway.

I have a complete set of CA 1x2 degree, 30x60 minute and 7.5 minute DRG maps (Albers NAD27, tif and tfw only, no fgd). 7.5' alone spans 8 DVD's.

I also have a complete set of AZ 7.5' DRG maps (complete tif,tfw,fgd) approx 9 gb.

I am looking for a complete set of 1:100K and 1:250K AZ maps.

Also willing to trade for complete state sets of UT, NV, CO, NM.

I am only interested in USGS public domain DRG mapsets. Thanks in advance but offers for copyrighted commercial mapsets will have to be directed to /dev/null.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

From the contents of your post, I am thinking you are enjoying OziExplorer. Still one of the best pieces of shareware on the market (even if you don't own a GPS!) LOL

Where did you get your AZ 7.5' quads from? I ask only because mine all came with 1:250K and 1:100K USGS DRGs. If you can't find some place to download them (did you try the UofA site....I think I sent you that link), I could probably be talked into burning you a CD or two with those included. It will take a little bit of time as I will need to copy them off of the 1x1 degree CDs I have and make a burn image from those. Let me know....I can always find some time for a Leep/GPS buddy.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:42 AM

Hey!
I just got my Toughbook CF-27 yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased! Actually ecstatic!
I tried the Ozi thingy and found it to be a PIA to use. Probably because I'm so used to DeLorme's Topo. I couldn't be more pleased with DeLorme's stuff so why bother learning new tricks.
I load the CDs (three) I mostly use in the hard drive so I don't have to use the cd on the trail. They cover the whole West from Texas to Washington. I run the DeLorme's Street Atlas from the CD if I need it on the highway. Usually the topos give me what I need anyhow.
I forgot how much I used to like Win 98 and also how little space it takes on the hard drive. Especially when all the un-needed stuff is deleted.
COOL!
Ron
Old 11-26-2003, 12:14 PM

not to hijack, but has anyone used Maptech stuff? in comparison to Delorme? i like most of delorme's stuff, actually install and support it daily. not much topo though

thx.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:33 PM

Not to hijack in a DIFFERENT direction....

Any good places besides eBay to look for those toughbooks? I've beaten up 2 laptops that are otherwise still usable (that is, I still have a use for them, but the chassis are pretty well done in) and am looking for a used or refurbed rugged unit.

Looking at google now, they seem to be hit-or-miss here & there. I imagine there's someplace that specializes in these?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:58 PM

http://www.panasonic-toughbook.com/cf27.html

www.renewpc.biz

mark@renewpc.biz

I bought my Toughbook cf-27 with:
192 MB memory
6.4GB Hard drive
300 MHz
Cd Rom
Floppy
10.4" Touchscreen
$562.40 shipped

It's in much better shape than described to me. I'm tickled. If you order from them let me know as I might have some advise for you.

KPG98TJ, Not much topo? Do you have the Topo USA CDs? I don't know how you could want more.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:15 PM

actually, none professionally. only seen some on other's computers, couldn't bang away.

thx for the TB info too.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:19 PM

Thanks Ron! Will do, if I ever stop buying Jeep parts long enough to save enough money for a new PC....
Old 11-27-2003, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
From the contents of your post, I am thinking you are enjoying OziExplorer. Still one of the best pieces of shareware on the market (even if you don't own a GPS!) LOL

Yeah, I had been using the Etrex Vista for my mapping GPS, but now that I have the laptop, I picked up a Garmin Geko 201 as the receiver and it's small enough to just carry in my pocket in case I go for a walk. I also found that the Geko fits perfectly in the space between the dash and the windshield frame. I regularly get 12 foot discrimination when I have WAAS on.

Quote:
Where did you get your AZ 7.5' quads from? I ask only because mine all came with 1:250K and 1:100K USGS DRGs. If you can't find some place to download them (did you try the UofA site....I think I sent you that link), I could probably be talked into burning you a CD or two with those included. It will take a little bit of time as I will need to copy them off of the 1x1 degree CDs I have and make a burn image from those. Let me know....I can always find some time for a Leep/GPS buddy.
I downloaded the entire jukebox/drg024k subdirectory off of aria.arizona.edu. The jukebox subdir is read-blocked to ftp but I figured out how to get in from using the http interface. Stu, let me know what you'd like in trade for the larger AZ DRG's. I will PM my snailmail address.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Go back and check your downloads from the jukebox. That is where I got mine (before the read-blocked the ftp server) and the 100K and 250K maps were all with the corresponding 24K files. I'll still burn them off to CD for you. Don't need anything in trade....I'm happy to do it just because.

Edit: Perhaps they changed the jukebox layout since I used it? When I was using it, I would access a directory, such as 33112 (33 degrees N, 112 degrees W) which contained the 64 7.5' topos, 2 100K topos, and 1 250K topo all for that section. I reread your post and it sounds like they may have reorganized their data structure.