Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-26-2003, 07:20 PM

I have the most mufflers on my Jeep. Does that mean I win?

I just finished installing a Full Traction 6" long arm suspension lift on my Wrangler. Putting an exhaust on this Jeep was a bit of a challenge though, because virtually no muffler would fit in the usual place with the triangulated rear upper a-arm. The muffler shop ended up going with a straight 2 1/2" diameter exhaust pipe from the header flange to the tailpipe tip, with get this, ... THREE DRAG RACE MUFFLERS.

That's right, I have three mufflers on my Wrangler. The mufflers are only 1" bigger in diameter than the exhaust pipe itself, and are only 8" long, with a 2 1/2" internal diameter straight through design. One of the mufflers is before the cat, one is after the cat and covered by the transfer case skid plate, and the third is just in front of the rear axle. It sounds good though, with a nice performance rumble that is not too loud at all.

The muffler shop came up with this concoction all on their own. I had just dropped the Jeep off with an open header and told them to "make it quiet".

What the heck else do you folks do for a quiet exhaust on a long arm, triangulated rear suspension Wrangler?

Speedy.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

My dad had a Spintech muffler installed in his YJ by the same shop that installed his Warn XCL coil conversion in his YJ. They mounted it directly adjacent to the gas tank right at the end of the tub. It looks like this:

I cannot stress enough how much I hated the sound. I could literally hear him coming from down the block. This past week he just had a local shop add something similar to what you describe. It basically looks like a straight through pipe on the inside and the outside is only an inch or two larger diameter. I haven't heard it yet but he said it really helped quiet things down.

How do you like the new suspension? I am really looking forward to getting mine. On paper, it looks to improve on all the other commercially available long arm kits out there from the major manufacturers. I'm glad you posted this as I was wondering how it was going to be routed. Talking to the muffler shop, he said to get the kit installed and they'll work it in somehow.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:39 AM

To tell the truth I haven't even driven the Jeep with the new suspension on it yet. We trailered the Jeep to the muffler shop.

The person's shop that we used for the installation, and the person that essentially did the work for me is a competitor in UROC, and finished last year at #2 in the championship series. He won't buy an "off the shelf" suspension lift for a Jeep because according to him, none of them are done right. They are all cheap, poorly designed, poorly functional systems that won't hold up to real four wheeling abuse, ... according to him. So he usually builds his own suspensions, and they work good enough to be competitive in UROC. To my surprise he was actually very impressed with the Full Traction lift, and said "this one is done right". We still need to adjust the pinion angles and do a front end alignment, which will be done on Friday. Testing begins on Saturday

Speedy.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
The person's shop that we used for the installation, and the person that essentially did the work for me is a competitor in UROC, and finished last year at #2 in the championship series. He won't buy an "off the shelf" suspension lift for a Jeep because according to him, none of them are done right...
Speedy.
Was this Clayton?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

We used a cat and a single muffler on my lift (yes, it has a triangulated rear).

Front view...

Rear view...

Tail pipe...

Sorry, I don't have one with the tire removed. The pipe route through there is much cleaner than the factory route with the track bar.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:57 AM

No it wasn't Clayton. This fellow lives right here in Cedar City, UT.

Nice pictures Stu. That looks like a really clean installation, both on the lift and on the exhaust.

Speedy.