Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-28-2004, 01:55 PM

aftermarket sub instal (I NEED Help)

Hi,

I am new to the site, although I have had my jeep since Jan of this year. Its a 2000 Wrangler and I love the thing. Right now I am working on the stereo, and everyone knows how bad the sounds in wranglers are. Anyway Im not looking for the best sound just something better than what it is. This brings me to the subwoofers, I upgraded my console so I could put an aftermarket sub in, but didnt do any research and figured out pretty quick that an 8" sub will not fit. I do not want to buy a factory amp and sub. I don't really want to buy a tuffy stereo console either. Is there any way to fit this thing in there, without distroying the console? I was thinking about buying a tuffy security sleve but didnt want to yet. I also though about building a box. Any suggestions would be awesome. I know that its possible!!!

Thanks,

Nils
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 PM
AA reject

Not trying to be rude or anything, but your definetly on the wrong board to ask about stereo questions. Try www.jeepsunlimited.com . Music is one of the last things on our minds when it comes to the trails we run. Sorry could not be of more help.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 AM

I have one of those Infinity bass things in the back - for a TJ it sounds very good. they are super easy to install and I made a "quick release plug" out of an extension cord. The thing has it's own amp built in.

I think it's 10". Obviously it doesn't go wheeling with me.

I'd never put a speaker in the console - where would I put my flashlight, gloves, tire pressure gauge, and jelly beans?

Jeff
Old 09-03-2004, 12:42 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle

I'd never put a speaker in the console - where would I put my flashlight, gloves, tire pressure gauge, and jelly beans?
not to mention winch remote, other set of gloves, zip ties, zerk fittings, pen, hat, tp and emergency book of matches.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I replaced the factory tape player with a Pioneer 1.5 din cd receiver. When the soundbar speakers gave up the ghost I swapped in Sony Xplod 6.5" speakers and re-used the factory covers (it'll all fit without drilling). I added a cheap 200W amp mounted to the floor under the driver's seat to drive an 8" sub that sits behind the driver's seat with a quick disconnect.

I didn't add this equipment for great sound (my ear isn't that discerning), it was so I could hear it at freeway speed with the top off.

Like others have mentioned, I wanted to keep my console free for trail gear and wanted the sub to be easily pulled to free up space when wheeling.

I wouldn't spend a ton on an open top Jeep stereo due to easy theft and poor acoustics. I'd stick to low end equipment that'll still give adequate sound.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:41 AM

Kinda the same as the Jeff's squared with mine. I use a 8" amplified Bazooka Tube that sits in the rear of my rig on a quick disconnect and I upped the speakers in the dash and sound bar. I have Sonys in the bar and Polks in the dash. I probably have $750 in my system and frankly, I wouldn't spend any more than that. You aren't ever going to get great sound quality in a Jeep.