Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-05-2002, 05:53 PM
The king of shotgun debate

San Diego Hampton Inns - Advice Please

San Diego Hampton Inns - Advice Please

Hi Folks, in September my wife Kathy and I are planning to do a few weeks of vacationing in the So. Cal. area.

Part of that time will be spent in San Diego. While I have been there many times in the past that was a few years back, and not as a civilian.

My wife has picked out three Hampton Inn Hotels in San Diego that she is interested in.

Can anyone make a recommendation for me as which would be the best to stay at and what might be around them?

William? Anyone????

Hampton Inn Locations in San Diego

Downtown
1531 Pacific Hwy

Kearny Mesa
5434 Kearny Mesa Rd.

Sea World/Airport
3888 Greenwood
(How close to airport is this one. Wouldn't want to listen to take-off or landing all the time.)

Thanks in advance folks,

Frank
Old 07-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Reggae

Frank, are there any specific traffic related issues that might affect your choice? Are you planing on visiting many places around the county, or concentrate on getting to specific places throughout the week at predetermined time periods?

I need to verify by the map, but if I think where it is your first choice puts you less than a mile from the glissade of the incoming aircrafts that descend to the Sand Diego International, not very noisy, but you said, you didn?t want planes. Also, the North Island Air Station is right across the bay.

According to the street map I have in front of me, your second choice, is about a mile away from the Montgomery Field Airport (small planes), and about three miles away from the Miramar Air Station (big planes, fast planes, invisible planes, helicopters, you name it, they got it). Are you sure you wife doesn?t have passion for airplanes?

I really need to see the air traffic maps, I have a bad feeling that your third choice is may also have some jets flying near by, but it least it is farther away from the airports than the other two. That area is not really good, but they have a jeep dealership with decent parts department nearby.

I?ll see if i can find more info for you.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:49 PM

Thanks Sergey,

I appreciate your help. I now know where Number two is located. More then a few years back I flew out of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

I could live in that neighborhood for a few days.

My wife and I will be making day trips from the hotel, seeing the sites again after many years.

I am planning to also attend the RCAA event in Johnson Valley on 9/18, 19, and 20. It sure would be nice to meet up with you there.

Once again thanks for the info and any other advice you can give to me.

Frank
Old 07-06-2002, 09:40 AM

It's expensive and a drive from downtown, but the Lowes Coronodo is a SUPER nice place to stay. We had a business conference there a few years back.

It is past Hotel Del on Coronodo. Very pricey, but worth checking out.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2002, 05:41 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the tip on the Lowes Coronado. I will look into it. Perhaps I can treat my beautiful wife to a few nights there.

In the past I have done a considerable amount of travel that racked up the Airline Frequent Flier Points and Hotel Points.

This vacation I was planning on cashing in some Hilton/Hampton Inn Points for our lodging.

Guess that does make it easier for me to spring for a really nice place for a few nights too!

Hmmm.... This is doable!

Thanks again, I will look into it.

Frank