Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-16-2002, 10:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Well, the jeep finally clicked over 200,000 miles... YIKES

Well, it finally happened. The jeep hit 200,000 miles. After 2 transmissions (a stock puegot, and a swapped in TF999 auto), 2 transfer cases(My TF999 came with an NP231, so I used it, and sold the t-case and puegot together), and a rear axle swap to an 8.8, the jeep turned the mark. It's been a long hard road. I bought the jeep back in June of 1999, bone stock, not a scratch on it. It did have some 30" all terrains, which I considered "big" at the time. Oh how times have changed . When I bought the jeep, I had planned to use the 4wd in the winter (back when I was living in a snowy climate) and that was the ONLY reason I saw for having 4wd. Then I went wheeling about 3 weeks after I bought it. Granted, it wasn't nearly as difficult as the stuff I like to do now, more like a fire road with a couple obstacles, but it was fun, and I was hooked. First came the shackle lift and 31" Mud terrains. I wheeled it that way for a few months, and enjoyed it. Soon after that, I made the mistake of purchasing a pro comp 4" lift. And to this day, its still on the jeep, due to lack of funds Then came the 32" All Terrains, and I wheeled it that way for a while. Then came the 4.56's and lockers in the stock axles. That worked well for a while, and I stepped up from 32's to 35's, and trimmed a bit of sheetmetal to make them fit. About a year or so after the gears and lockers, I got a line on an 8.8, so out went the D35, and in went the 8.8. I still run the D30, and Ive also got some 297x shafts and a roc loc for it, I just need to install them.. Ive also gone from a hard top and hard doors, to a soft top and half doors, from the factory "sport bar" to a full custom roll cage, not to mention a kilby skid, and OBA using my factory sanden compreesor that used to be for my AC. All in all, Im pleased with my jeep, and the next step is a motor rebuild. Who knows though, if the motor keeps running as well as it is right now, it could be another 100,000 before it goes Thats my little story. Thanks for listening. And for those who are still interested, here is a before picture, and an after picture. The only difference is, as of yesterday, I put a canyon city tire carrier on the rear. Here's the pics:

Scott
Old 10-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Way to go Scott. With a little luck you'll see that 100K extra miles on the engine.

Congrats on the Canyon City rack. If I can give you one bit of free advice it would be this:

If you express interest in purchasing a bumper/tire carrier from a fellow Jeeper (or anything from anybody for that matter), have the courtesy to let that person know that you are going in a different direction and aren't going to need it after all. I know you said not to hold it, but nonetheless, I let it sit because I thought you were interested in it. There's no hard feelings, per se, I just would've rather heard it from you than somebody else..

Good luck on the Jeep and I hope you get it the way you want it.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:11 AM

<edit> (since you can't edit past 30 minutes)

I just fired the computer back up because I thought that my previous post may have come across as a bit harsh when it wasn't really intended to be (or entirely intended to be ). Maybe you forgot about the emails about the tire carrier or underestimated the fact that I'd sit on it while you saved the money for it.

Either way, I didn't want this to become something out of nothing if it was just an oversight.

Again, good luck with the Jeep!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Want me to smack him around a little for you Jeff?
Did Rich make it over to get that bumper?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 AM

John,

No and yes. I'll let you decide which answer goes with which question.

Yeah, Rich made it last night. Are you going to help install? Thanks for the lead.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
I think I am. Helped Scott do his, and I'm helping do a lift on an XJ tonight. Have to find time to fit him in my busy schdule first.

Maybe I'll find time to do stuff to my own junk next month.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:31 PM

Hey Scott, nice rack. Hope you didn't have any trouble getting it on, i woulda helped. Enjoy it as much as i did. That things 7 years old, if you can believe it!!

John. I had to go and find ANOTHER stock tyre carrier . This is getting to be a habit!!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Jeff,
I understand the concern. I should have emailed you, and I do know that I should have emailed you and let you know I was going a different direction. I was in the wrong, and I apologize. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing to pick up the canyon city rack. Again, I apologize, and hope it can be accepted. John has smacked me before, and Im sure he'd be happy to do it again. As far as the topic of the jeep goes, I'll get it how I want it eventually. It might just take a bit.
Tim,
Im enjoying the rack, and it seems really steady. It took John and I about 4 hours, but thats mostly because we took a long beer break in the middle. I think had we not, it would have been more like 2 hours
Scott