Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM

fog lamp relay help

This is for an '03 TJ with stock fog lamps.

Does anyone know either: where the relay for the fog lamp switch is located, or what the color the wires are that come out of the steering column which are attached to the fog lamp switch in the turn signal stick?

I am not looking for the relay in the main PDC under the hood that de-activates the fog lamps when the high beams are turned on.

The problem is that the fog lamp switch in the turn signal stick is boogered up somehow (lights flicker on/off when in the off position), and I want to just cut off the lines to that switch and install a new one in the dashboard to activate the lights instead.

Thanks in advance for any help, i spent 6 hours under the dashboard and hood today trying to back-track and color-identify wires and have gotten nowhere. I suspect the Haynes manual color codes are incorrect.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Looks like the relay is in the multi function switch. Look for 16ga pink/light green power in and white/orange power out wires.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 AM

I was suspecting this also might be the case. at least now i have a color combination to try with the voltmeter, since there are about 30 wires coming out of the back of the unit.

thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 PM

What, you don't want to replace the stock switch?

2001-2008 Jeep Wrangler FOG LIGHT SWITCH

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: mb180
Price: $60.99
or
P#5016709AD $74.55 $0.00 $60.39
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Turn signal switch
TURN SIGNAL SWITCH, Jeep, TJ Series, w/Fog Lamp 2003 - 2004

I gave up on Haynes and got the big one ';>) & P#s

Al

'03 TJ, just right lift (4.5)
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM

OK I am posting this because I am hoping to save someone else the entire day's worth of work to get to the bottom of this.

first off, many thanks to Kampy, you were correct on the wire colors and without this information i would have never found the power supply to this switch and would have needed to buy a new one for 60 bucks, or else waste a whole second day probably getting nowhere while testing combinations of circuits on the unit.

The power in/out is most certainly the pink/light green and white/orange wires. these are connected into the upper left side wiring harness of the switch unit (if looking towards the dashboard). my Haynes manual had the colors labeled incorrectly. after removing the switching unit from the steering column, i tested the corresponding harness contacts on the back side of the switching unit with a voltmeter, and confirmed that this was the "bad" circuit (voltmeter wigged out while i pushed in/out on the fog light switch). i cut the pink and white wires just below the steering column, and hooked up the ends (coming from the firewall side of course, or you'd be hooking your switch to the dead switch) to a new switch i installed in the dashboard, and the fog lamps now turn on with this switch instead.

what this also tells me that the relay for the fog lights is not in the switch unit on the steering column. i still have no idea where it is, as i have this far been unsuccessful at deciphering the circuit runs from the spaghetti of wires behind the dash. but i'm happy now because at least my fog lights work normally again, of course until the switch relay goes bad (knock on wood).

interestingly, the stock fog light indicator lamp in the dashboard still lights up when i turn the lights on, and i'm not sure why since i don't know where the circuit runs. it must be hooked to the relay or circuit down the line a ways, and not hooked up to something within the switch unit.

i also discovered that the signal trees are made by Lucas electronics, which a friend had informed me are infamously known for making relays and other electrical components for those "reliable" 1980's Jaguars. no wonder it stopped working.

and yes, it looks like I need to graduate from the Haynes manual and get the "real one"....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmike View Post
...also discovered that the signal trees are made by Lucas electronics, which a friend had informed me are infamously known for making relays and other electrical components for those "reliable" 1980's Jaguars. no wonder it stopped working.
Mike, the British company Lucas was the company behind the notoriously unreliable electrical systems of many British cars... Jaguar, MG, Triumph, etc. and Lucas eventually became know as the "Prince of Darkness" for leaving drivers of cars with Lucas electrical systems lightless at night. And why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 PM

I looked at the schematic again, it appears there is not any relay in the system except for the one in the PDC. Power goes from fuse 19 to the multi function switch and from there to the fog relay in the PDC. Makes sense I guess, you wouldn't need a relay in a low amperage circuit to run another relay.

When you get a FSM it's on page 8W-50-8. Wish I could figure out how to send you the page.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
And why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
ROFL!! man, that was just plain hilarious. in many ways.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
I figured out where it is in a 97, but I doubt that's help.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Not sure if this is the same relay your looking for.

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/T...t%20Defeat.htm