Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2002, 02:29 PM

Nasty steering clunk in WJ

My WJ has developed a super loud clank when turning the wheel. I have checked all the obvious stuff - control arms, bushing, track bar, etc. I only have about 12K on my lift and use my truck but do not abuse it.

I have narrowed the sound down to the steering box. The WJ uses a recirculating ball setup that is different than other steering systems I've seen.

Anyone know if these are prone to failure or had one of these go on their WJ?

Also (and I feel dumb for asking this) – how do you disconnect the steer rod (the rod from the pitman to the hub) – I can’t figure out how to get the rod ends off of the ball joints.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

99 WJ Laredo - lifted with accoutrements
Old 01-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Are you experiencing this in reverse? Tight steering situations or just normal driving? I had warped rotors (notorious on the 99's) that for some reason did the same thing.

Fixed that and then got it again:

You don't happen to have a receiver and hitch do you? The reason I ask is that I thought the same thing on my WJ but it usually only occured when I went around corners and hit a bump...turned out to be the hitch slapping around although I heard it in the front.

Many Jeeps with Stuff
Old 01-04-2002, 04:41 PM

I do have the tow package but I never keep the receiver in - definately not that.

I can replicate the clunk with the engine off by turning the steering wheel. Sounds like the frame or something is cracked and metal is sliding into place (if that makes sense). If it is I can't find it - and I haven't done anything to crack it - I offroad very slow and deliberate.

It really vibrates the truck - the front skid plate resonates.

Jeff

Old 01-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Bring it by this weekend and I will take a look at it for you. No problem.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:31 PM

The last time I had a clunk in JV and was crawling around under the Jeep, Blaine walked over, pointed to a bolt and said tighten that one. Clunk gone. I would have found it eventually.
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 01-04-2002, 10:25 PM

Blaine,

Thanks for the offer - that is very cool. Happy belated birthday as well.

Email me your phone number if you can take a look with me at my steering issue. kingofclout@yahoo.com

I'm around this weekend - Sunday is bad my oldest son has little league tryouts.

Jeff

Old 01-04-2002, 11:10 PM

Just curious, but what kind of front trac-bar are you using? Did the hole on the frame mount have to be drilled out to accomodate a larger bolt? That is where my loud pop is coming from on my ZJ. The hole for the bolt is a bit to big for my RE bar, so it pops around occasionally. If I put a lot of grease on it and tighten it every few weeks, it does not pop. It is right by the steering box area, so I was too first suspecting the steering box. Just something that might help you, but I'm not too sure of the set-ups on WJs.

'93 ZJ, V8, 5.5", 33" SSRs, ARB, etc.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:42 PM

I had slight clunk after putting in my ORGS adj trackbar.

After re-centering the axel my steering wheel was a bit off so I adjusted the draglink. Not torquing down the draglink clamps enough was the source of my clunk. If you adjusted the wheel after your lift give those a look.

Adam
Old 01-05-2002, 09:49 PM

Thanks,

I've got the ORGS track bar as well - but I've had it on for 15K miles now. I'll recheck it tommorrow. I did go over all those clamps as I thought the draglink bar was binding on something - they are all torqued tight.

I am now thinking it is probably my track bar - damn it is loud.

I will get under it tomorrow and make sure it is tight.

Jeff