Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 03:26 PM

Question WJ Brake rotor/pad replacement

I think I am pretty capable of changing out the rotors and pads on my WJ but since I've really only worked on the YJ extensively, I thought I'd better ask some advice.

I've got that dreaded warped rotor syndrome on my '99 WJ and have purchased Stillen front and rear rotors and Stillen Metal Matrix pads from the illustrious Kolak. Darn good price. So, anybody have a write up on this or should I just tackle it and hope I don't run into any hidden "Gotcha's"

Thanks!

Jeeper
Old 08-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Re: WJ Brake rotor/pad replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper
I think I am pretty capable of changing out the rotors and pads on my WJ but since I've really only worked on the YJ extensively, I thought I'd better ask some advice.

I've got that dreaded warped rotor syndrome on my '99 WJ and have purchased Stillen front and rear rotors and Stillen Metal Matrix pads from the illustrious Kolak. Darn good price. So, anybody have a write up on this or should I just tackle it and hope I don't run into any hidden "Gotcha's"

Thanks!

Jeeper
I don't own a WJ, but I have 4 sets of the rotors, brackets, calipers and pads in my garage.

That said, it's pretty straightforward. Pop the caps off of the dust boots on the sliders, remove slider pins, remove caliper. Rotor should come off at this time. Put on new rotor, remove old pads from caliper, observe very carefully the orientation of the anti-rattle spring and remove it to get the pads out. Put in new pads, replace anti-rattle spring clip, reinstall caliper with lubrication on slider pins.

Start to finish will take less time than yanking the tires off and on.

Just as an aside, does Kolak have the newest version for the later model WJ's. There is a TSB on WJ's that will net you new calipers, pads, rotors, and caliper brackets with bolts to solve the wobble problem. I do not know the exact years and mileages though. No parts with the exception of the single use caliper bracket bolts and rotors are interchangeable between old and new designs.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:11 PM

Thanks mrblaine that helps!. Not sure if Kolak has the newer version or not. You can email him at kolak@aol.com He's pretty quick at responding.

I was going to go the tsb route but I've had so many friggin' issues with these brakes of the 3.5 years and only 26k miles that I'd rather just go with some quality.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper
Thanks mrblaine that helps!. Not sure if Kolak has the newer version or not. You can email him at kolak@aol.com He's pretty quick at responding.

I was going to go the tsb route but I've had so many friggin' issues with these brakes of the 3.5 years and only 26k miles that I'd rather just go with some quality.
The tsb is not a bad route. The rotor is the same and the new caliper and bracket are pretty awesome. Take them in for the TSB and sell me the new parts to subisdize the cost of the Kolak stuff.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:16 PM

Sounds like a plan. I'll see what I can do next week. The only issue I might see happening is that I may not get the old calipers back from the dealer (they may need them) in which case, I would have to use the newer style calipers. Kolak is not sure if the Stillen pads fit so he'll use me as a guinee pig.

Jeeper
Old 08-30-2002, 08:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to emdub Send a message via AIM to emdub Send a message via Yahoo to emdub
Question question

Excuse my ignorance but what are the rotors? Is it the disk? The thing the calipers/pads grab on to?

English isn't my first langage, especially when it comes to mecanical stuff... but if ever you need some translation to Portuguese...

Anyway, I have a bit of a shake when I brake and I was planning on substituting my rotors (disks?) for stillen ones... I found this to help me:

http://jeeparena.net/Stillen_Brakes/

...might help you too.

And the lord said to me "You are taking a bad path", and I answered "Don't worry, I've got a Jeep".
Old 08-30-2002, 09:35 AM

Thanks emdub! Yep, same thing...Discs, rotors. Check with Nick on pricing them out. He's got a group buy going on. Email him at kolak@aol.com. He's a very respectable person, I've purchase a few things from him. Tell him I sent ya.

Jeeper (Steve)
Old 08-30-2002, 06:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to emdub Send a message via AIM to emdub Send a message via Yahoo to emdub
Unhappy all the way in Portugal...

I need mine all the way in Portugal... a bit more complicated and adds at least a 19% tax to the price plus the transport. It's a pain in the a**, and bigger pain in the wallet to get parts for my WJ here...

And the lord said to me "You are taking a bad path", and I answered "Don't worry, I've got a Jeep".