Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 06:28 AM
dennisuello

32RH upgrades

I pulled the tranny out last night. I have no problems with it, other than the leaky front seal, which was the reason to pull it out.

While I have it out, what upgrades are available for this 3 speed and what is recommended? I'm an auto tranny newbie, I just heard things like reverse valve body and high stall TQ, but I don't know if I need that or now.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 AM
dennisuello

oh yeah, what should do to relocate the vent?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 PM

I would suggest PM'ing StealthTJ - he can supply a ton of info on these transmissions. I'm no expert, but other than relocating the vent and making sure you have adequate cooling, I really don't think anything needs to be done. The 32RH/TF999 is a pretty stout tranny.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a high stall converter - those are normally used in drag racing-type applications where the engine powerband is higher. The high stall speed converters slip and generate tons of heat at lower RPMs. My dad made the mistake of putting a 3500 stall converter in his T-bucket, and it only took a few miles before the transmission got REALLY hot.

Not sure if things have changed over the years, but the only reverse valve bodies I'm familiar with also convert to full manual. I'm not sure what the advantage to the reverse shift pattern would be in a Jeep application, but then again, I still have three pedals.

One thing I would avoid is any kind of "performance" shift kit. They normally result in a harsh shift - really harsh in 4-low. I put one in my Bronco, and even just the RV/towing modification really snapped your neck in low range. TransGo has some kits available that improve some minor issues, like allowing the pump to circulate fluid in park, without causing a harsh shift. I have one in my Dodge and the shifts are firmer than stock, but nowhere close to harsh.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-29-2006, 06:51 AM

Re: 32RH upgrades

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
I pulled the tranny out last night. I have no problems with it, other than the leaky front seal, which was the reason to pull it out.

While I have it out, what upgrades are available for this 3 speed and what is recommended? I'm an auto tranny newbie, I just heard things like reverse valve body and high stall TQ, but I don't know if I need that or now.
- Relocate the vent. Get a barbed fitting (threaded on one end). Drill and tap a hole in the top of the case right behind the bellhousing for the barbed fitting. Note, that you have to have the tranny apart as debris will drop through. Ue some JB weld or something similiar to plug the existing vent in the front of the pump. There is no pressure there, it's simply a vent, so nothing big is needed.

- Get a manually adjustable, manual pressure regulator valve. This will allow you to adjust the pressures up some, which will firm and quicken up the shifts.

- Get a new manual valve. This stops the torque converter drainback and also allows fluid to be pumped while in Park.

Both valves go in the valve body of the tranny.

That's about it. I wouldn't mess with any shift kits, the manually adjustable manual pressure regulator valve will do everything that you need.

No need for a manual valve body (which is the only way you can get a reverse valve body (BTW, why would you want that anyway ?)..

Since you'll have it apart, get, at aleast, a "paper and rubber" kit and replace all that. A "banner kit" without clutches (unless yours are showing wear) would be even better, as it includes everything (outer seals {all of them}, all the thrust washers, lip seals, etc).

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 AM
dennisuello

any part numbers or vendors for the above parts?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
any part numbers or vendors for the above parts?
Hughes Performance can furnish the two parts.
Don't know the numbers off the top of my head.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Armor - Full
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 01-31-2006, 08:14 AM
dennisuello

I'll give them a call.

BTW, I was looking input shaft over and noticed that it looks pretty worn. Is this ok, or is this an indication of a bigger problem?

Old 02-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Ah, I would probably replace that while you have the tranny apart, and ABSOUTELY get a new torque converter.

Fred
Armor - Full
Recovery - Warn XD9000i