Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Black Label
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Black Label Have you been treated good or bad? Share your story. This is the place to praise or shame

Old 10-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Reggae

What not to do if you are a gas station attendant

I wanted to fill up my jeep tires, so I asked the gas station attendant to turn on the air. What do I hear in return?.. - “Did you purchase gasoline?”

I’ve been purchasing gas at that station for years; in fact my jeep was just five meters from the attendant’s window getting filled up on juice one minute before I asked for air. Even then, isn’t air a safety item, that should be distributed no charge for any motorist anyway? I have been to many gas stations where I would not necessarily purchase gas, and they would never refuse me air.

I guess that gas station owner should thank the attendant’s wahhabist ass for loosing such a long time customer like me. If I was a gas station operator, I would give every jeeper free coffee, just to keep them coming back. You know how much gasoline eats a daily driver jeep shaped like a pair of bricks on 35-inch tires.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 10-02-2001, 07:45 PM

Would you like some help terrorizing them? I know ways that I can set them strait if you like.
Give me an address and I will have at them.
It wasn't a chevron was it?

R/
William
Old 10-02-2001, 08:35 PM
Reggae

Nah, don’t worry about it. I think that loosing my business will teach them a lesson.

Besides, we are on the quest to wipe terrorism out from our planet. That includes that we should not terrorize anyone as well.

P.S. It was not Chevron.

Old 10-02-2001, 08:41 PM

In California they only have to give you free air if you purchase gas. This is why I installed an on board compressor system - F!#@ THEM

They should give it for free.

Sean M Higgins
higs@higsrigs.com

2000TJ - Hey I'm working on it!

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 10-02-2001, 08:52 PM
Reggae

Even if there was such a law, first thing I do is ask myself, “Does this law apply to me?” - No it doesn’t. As long as there are gas stations and jeepers that give me free air, I don’t have to go to the gas station with the rude attendant. And that is my law. I am the judge and the jury on this one.

Old 10-02-2001, 10:23 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

To,

Technically, you are required to purchase fuel (which you did) to be entitled to free air, use of pressure gauge & water. A copy of the state law is here.

From a business perspective, the costs of providing these services is nothing compared to the consequences of not. There are a zillion filling stations out there and you are wise to not patronize those which give you the shaft.

I've 'banned' places many times for similar reasons. The "roach coach" which used to stop by my old office wouldn't sell me orange juice one day 'cuz I only had a twenty, not caring that I had made the same $1.25 purchase everyday for years. I got so ****ed that I told him I wasn't gonna' buy from him ever again. Well, after I convinced everybody else in the office not to buy from him either, his sales dwindled to the point that he couldn't even stop by anymore. A friendlier "roach coach" soon followed. If I were you I'd drop a note to the owner and let him know that he's been "banned." Even if he does nothing to appease you, at least you have the satisfaction of him knowing that he lost a customer.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2001, 01:05 PM

I agree with Jeff, drop him a note and tell him what his employee "cost" him. Add up what you spent there a week and make a point of adding that up for 1 year to drive it home what ****ty service cost him. He won't ever know what it cost him unless you tell him.

98 TJ Sport
Old 12-20-2004, 01:41 AM

Quite frankly, I think he'll just say, Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I'll have to subsist off the thousands of other customers I get every week... I've never had any trouble getting free air from gas stations myself, usually not buying gas. My wife informed me of the law since she's from CA whereas I'm new here.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to blupupher Send a message via Yahoo to blupupher
This is a law in California? Wow.
I guess it would be nice to not have to pay $.50-1.00 to air up, but to have it as law??
Old 12-20-2004, 07:50 AM

Its done as a safety thing, that way no one should have an excuse to not be able to fill their tires. Keep tires properly inflated, they don't fail as often on the highway.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blupupher
This is a law in California? Wow.
I guess it would be nice to not have to pay $.50-1.00 to air up, but to have it as law??
It is a law - put forth by Assembly woman Nell Soto after she encountered a similar experience to Sergeys'.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM

WOW, talk about reserecting an old thread!

BTW: Looks as if some of the thread was spelled in Russian or something....
Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM

Is it common to have to pay for air in parts of the U.S.? A friend of mine had lived down in New Mexico for a while and he had commented on it. Here it has always been free. Granted you used to be able to go to any gas station and fill up with a decent compressor and tank. Now many of them have resorted to those crappy little push botton tanks that take forever and require 6 button pushes to top off a set of 33x12.5's.

TObject, did you ever write the owner to let them know of your dissatisfaction??
Old 12-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by RckyMtnTJ
TObject, did you ever write the owner to let them know of your dissatisfaction??
No I didn't, I wrote here, that was enough for me to let the steam out and achieve the ethereal balance and happiness.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
No I didn't, I wrote here, that was enough for me to let the steam out and achieve the ethereal balance and happiness.
ethereal or evanescent?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
ethereal or evanescent?
Evanescent
Old 12-21-2004, 01:07 AM

Effervescent maybe?