Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-01-2001, 08:25 AM
Banned

Axle Assembly Diagrams/Pics/Write-Up

Since I'm at work I don't have my FSM near me. I'm wondering if anyone can steer me to some pics/diagrams of the front and rear axle assemblies. What I'm looking for is the parts included from spider gear out (inner shaft, u-joint, outer shaft, etc. for the front).

It doesn't seem like there are too many pieces, and if the u-joint is stronger than shafts (up front) then I'm wondering what breaks next and how hard it is to fix. Is the u-joint considered somewhat difficult, because you take off the wheel, or because the brakes are heavy, etc., what am I missing? Can someone walk me through changing a shaft/u-joint or point me to a website that has it?

TIA.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-01-2001, 08:57 AM

well the prolem with the stock front axle is the U joints are sealed in they are not pop out and replace. the only one I saw go it tore inner axle part that holds the u joint the easy trail repair is to have stock shfts with the hubs on the then it is a mater of remove tire remove caliper remove 3 12 point 13mm / 1/2 inch bolts and slap in new one.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Banned

Huh??? You can't remove the u-joint? That's definitely the part I was missing. I kept thinking, it's not hard to replace u-joints, but it is if you can't . So, if a u-joint fails you have to replace the shaft(s) with it?

Old 08-01-2001, 09:22 AM

Wait I am wrong about not being servicable ooops blew that one the hub bearings are sealed tot the Ujoints but the failure I described is what I have seen

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-01-2001, 09:39 AM
Banned

Ahhhhh, gotcha, I was

Old 08-01-2001, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Perhaps a little clarification is in order.

Stock u-joints are no stronger or weaker than any other quality joints.

The stock shaft yokes are the weak point. The eyes of the yokes stretch under stress. The cap leaves and the resulting impact of the trunnion is what breaks the yoke ears.

The stretching of the ears is also what makes it important to carry spare assemblies. Nearly all u-joint failures in stock shafts, result in ruined yokes. They won't hold in the caps any longer. Spare u-joints carried in a jeep are definitely a fluff item and a waste of time and money.

Only the alloy shafts have enough strength to withstand the breaking of a joint and still be serviceable.

Basically what Scott said, just more verbosity.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:17 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
Stock u-joints are no stronger or weaker than any other quality joints.

[/quote]

Not for long

Thanks for clarifying Blaine. I understood Scott, just the part about them not popping out I did not get. I have it now. I see that u-joint trail fixes probably are yoke fixes, which are shaft fixes.

Old 08-01-2001, 12:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
Thanks for clarifying Blaine. I understood Scott, just the part about them not popping out I did not get. I have it now. I see that u-joint trail fixes probably are yoke fixes, which are shaft fixes.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom[/quote]

Yes,

I've seen this first hand. A ujoint blew out at Octillo wells, and when it went, it took the ears out with it. But it wasn't really apperent untill you tried to put the new Ujoint in. So it took even longer to repair. Kind of a pain.

R/
William Karstens