Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-04-2004, 11:28 AM

Tire size

I am going to build up my tj and would like some ideas on a good tire size. I would like to be able to run the hammers and Big bear and other trails. I also will be daily driving it so I think the 39's are out. Also how much lift to clear them and will my 35 hold. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to RipCurl
Re: Tire size

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepman92504
...and will my 35 hold
Sorry I'm from the midwest so I can't help you with too much here, but I can tell you one thing. Seems like many people on this board run 35"-37" tires for wheeling out west. If you want to run that kind of rubber, you're going to need some big boy axles.

"There is only one true American sports car... the Jeep."
Enzo Ferrari
Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Thank You. I was thinking of doing this but not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 315767_34_full.jpg (61.7 KB, 352 views)
Old 08-04-2004, 12:13 PM

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I think I'm the last of us to put together a TJ for JV so I'll comment on my experiences and what was related to me from the more experienced on the board.

First let me state that there are many ways to build a Jeep, and I'm not going to tell you our way is the best. In fact there are people who used to be on this board that accuse us of all being sheep because our Jeeps are so similar. There is a reason for that - our model works for the type of wheel we enjoy.

Second let me state that mrblaine on this forum is a master at putting together a TJ for JV. He has done it so many times now.

Third ? any Jeep built for JV is going to be able to play almost anywhere ? Big Bear might get boring from a difficulty standpoint.

So - put on your sheep?s clothing and come out and play.

35? tires are a minimum in JV. Anything smaller and you aren?t having fun; anything bigger and you?d better have lots of money.

Here is a good JV Jeep that still drives acceptable on the road:

TJ - automatic is the preference for the rocks, 6cyl makes the most sense on the road.

Quality 4" lift - short arm is fine. I run a Currie as do many of us now. Stay away from Teraflex - their arms do not hold up well in the really hard stuff. Rancho 9000 shocks have served all of us well and are reasonably priced. You?ll of course need a SYE with this height of lift.

Currie bumpstop extensions (they come with the lift)

1.25-1.5" body lift - any brand will do

Currie or equivalent belly up skid - do NOT buy a skid that isn't at least 1/4" thick - it will not hold up.

Quality gas tank skid ? preferably high clearance. This has become a problem as our favorite vendor has somewhat disappeared. Teraflex does NOT make a thick enough skid. Warn, 4Xdoctor or equivalent will work fine. Be aware that none of these skids have a dimple for the fuel pump so you might have to get creative with your install.

Good bumpers ? we like the Currie/Hansen shorty design because it?s small and has great clearance. You do not want a full width bumper (ala ARB) in JV.

Currie or equivalent control arm mini skids ? they aren?t required, but you will sure be sorry you didn?t install them.

Steering box skid ? again any quality unit will do. The Teraflex unit is a PITA to install ? stay away.

Quality aluminum wheels ? beadlocks aren?t necessary but they are nice. Steel wheels suck terribly in the rocks as they are out of round and out of balance instantly.

Miscellaneous armor ? quarter panel plates, tail bonz (a Currie product) etc. Basically you run a high risk of body damage in JV so protect your Jeep accordingly.

AXLES:

It goes without saying that front and rear lockers are required. Our group has had great luck with ARBs and there is a fantastic installer that is local to us (All 4 Wheel Drive). Your choice of lockers is yours of course.

A TJ D44 out back works great ? purchase an extra short side shaft to carry and you are in great shape. Disc brakes do make life nicer.

D30 up front. Your stock LP D30 will hold up fine to JV with the following upgrades. Warn 4.5x5 small hub kit. Warn inner and outer axles. At least the new 760 u-joint or preferably CTMs. IF you don?t have gears I?d recommend finding a HP D30 as an upgrade which you can do when you do your gear install. Several people on this board can help you get them junkyard cheap. It?s a bolt in from an XJ.

Performance Friction brake pads up front ? these are cheap at Autozone, have a lifetime warrantee, and really make a difference. TJ brakes with 35? tires suck ? so until you are ready to upgrade your braking system run these pads.

Power steering cooler ? while not required it does make life easier on the trail. Currie sells a nice finned one that you can install up front.

Winch. While not a requirement if you wheel with this group, because the rest of us have them, it does make life a LOT easier on the trails in JV. Most of the time if you get stuck, it?s easy to pull your winch line and hook up to the guy in front of you. If you have a winch I would recommend upgrading to synthetic line for safety.

Currie HD Steering upgrade ? draglink and tie rod. Again we?ve had great success with this unit. Carry your stock steering as a spare.

T-Case ? with an automatic your stock 231 is fine. If you have a manual some type of tractor t-case makes life a lot easier out there (Atlas or a 4-1)

Tires ? Goodyear MT/Rs sure work good and have great street manners. Buy them from America?s Tires with their warrantee and they?ll replace them when you ruin them. If you are buying wheels I?d suggest 16? rims (as long as you?re sure you?re staying at 35? tires) because it will be easier to upgrade your brakes when you decide you need to.

I probably forgot something, but I?m sure someone will chime in!

Hope this helped. You should stay tuned here for the next Rookie Run at JV ? it would be a great experience for you to ride along with us. That?s how I got introduced to those trails and now I?m hooked.

If you want to come by and talk Jeeps let me know ? I live in MV so we?re not that far.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: Tire size

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepman92504
and will my 35 hold. Thanks in advance.
No. Don't try, don't listen to anyone that says they've been doing it, and don't waste any money on it.

Find a TJ D44 - I'm sure someone on this board can help you.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2004, 04:20 PM

I second Jeff's coments all are true and good advice.

Scott
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Bah! you need to quit building all those cookie cutter rigs. Wouldn't it be more fun to be different and buy crap three and four times before you find something that's works and is durable?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:18 PM

Hmm, something going on here....

Although I haven't driven JV, I just came along on a run to be with friends & see from a passengers standpoint how things looked there. INCREDIBLE place to wheel, but if unprepared - or a bad luck day occurs, you'll have a long day to say the least.

Maybe I'm off base a little, but it also appears that if your rig is running a can carrier that also holds a big spare, you may want to remove the spare from out back so you have a better departure angle. I have the Canyon City can & tire carrier & I suspect things would get damaged unless real lucky.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Bah! you need to quit building all those cookie cutter rigs. Wouldn't it be more fun to be different and buy crap three and four times before you find something that's works and is durable?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 PM

A good tip is to leave the spare tire at camp and get 60 safty seals learn how to use them and you wont need the tire on the trail. At 100 lbs plus it is better at camp then on the back of the rig. I KNOW this as I was once stuck on all 5 tires when I had a spare on the Jeep, NO spare I could have nailed the line.

Plus with 100 lbs at camp you can carry the spare axle shafts, stearing parts, and tools with no problem.

Scott
Old 08-05-2004, 11:15 AM

What about the new irok tires, anygood
Old 08-05-2004, 11:52 AM

get mtrs, I see you are in big bear...

Iroks will WEAR very fast on a daily driver..

Mtr's will be the best all around combo, daily driver/rockcrawling tire..
Old 08-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
A good tip is to leave the spare tire at camp and get 60 safty seals learn how to use them and you wont need the tire on the trail.
Heh, 60 tire plugs is about right... I used that many getting off the trail the time on SH I sliced my MT/R open and left my spare tire back at camp. You remember that day Scott.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:14 PM

Actually Baldwin lake, but not everyone know where that is. I know you do.
Kory