Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-13-2006, 01:58 PM

adjustable track bar

I have an 03 TJ which i have just upgraded with a 2.5" OME lift kit. The lift kit came with a rear track bar relocation bracket which has been installed, but i did not install an adjustable track bar for the front and the front axle is now about 1/2" off center to the driver's side.

what should i do:

1. leave it, this distance is not an issue
2. drill new hole to relocate stock track bar (ghetto fix but cheap)
3. install new adjustable track bar to properly center the axle

i have heard and it would seem to make sense that the axle being off center will possibly damage all CA's if taken off-road for a time, and would also guess that this is not good for the vehicle's suspension as it is constantly in a slight tension to one side during normal driving.

also wondering if the centering is itself a possible factor with some death wobble i was experiencing. i have not yet exhausted mrblaine's "death wobble elimination checklist" including having the tires balanced, although i have managed to reduce DW to a nice healthy controllable vibration after re-adjusting the toe-in on the front wheels.

i will also be bringing the vehicle in for a full alignment, but would like to wait to do this as well as continue with the DW eliminiation checklist in case i need to deal with the track bar.

I hope this is an intelligent post which makes sense.

thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Personally, I would NOT drill another hole in the bracket - it doesn't leave enough material IMHO, and I've seen more than one bracket done this way that had the hole wallowed out.

I ran for a while with a spacer lift and the OME lift using the stock track bar in the factory location. I never noticed any ill effects in the way the Jeep drove or performed.

If you're really concerned about it, JKS makes an adjustable track bar for the smaller lifts, and it is a high quality part that uses a Johnny Joint at the frame end. The only issue is that if you decide to go to a bigger lift somewhere down the road, a different track bar is necessary.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about the axle being only 1/2" off to the side. Plenty of Jeepers with new lifts run that way with little or no issues. I did myself for probably 3-4 years without problem.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM

thanks for the tips. i've also called ARB whom recommend waiting until the lift settles out to see how much axle offset actually comes out of the lift, but that a small distance should be no issue.