Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 AM

Advice on trip to Maui?

The first week of June my wife, two sons (1.5, 3.5) and I are going to Maui for a week.

I've never been and am looking for some recomendations of fun things to do (with little ones). Scuba diving, sportfishing etc are unfortunately out for this trip.

Are there any obscure "must see" places? I prefer the road less traveled kind of trips, but imagine this isnt going to be the case with Maui.

We are staying at Kaanapali (Sheraton Maui) and we will have a rental car. Is Hana more than a day trip from Kaanapali?

It's been a loooong time since I took a vacation, but all of my past trips have been backpacking through Central America/Baja/High Sierras etc. Not sure I'm going to know what to do with myself in Maui...
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Matt,

Hana is definitely a must do!!! It is definitely doable as a day trip and there are plenty of opportunities for pit stops along the way. Wear your swimsuits, there are a lot of cool watering holes with falls, pools and what not. Don't be surprised if you get solicited to buy some "Maui Wowee" from talking trees on some of the hairpin curves (no joke).

My wife and I did the entire loop around Maui in a day. Technically, I don't think you're supposed to drive further than the 7 Sacred Pools but we didn't tell. The road does get a bit rougher on the southern tip, but it wasn't too bad.

Good choice on the location, Kaanapali is great. We usually stayed at the Whaler which is right next door to all the restaurants and shops and is just down the way from you at the Sheraton. I'd definitely recommend eating at the Hula Grill, barefoot at a table on the sand looking out at Lanai (or is it Molokai?) and enjoying a cold one.

You may also want to go to the top of Haleakala. The sunrises are supposed to be spectacular there, but it is so early in the morning and about an hours drive so you may not be able to get there by then. Be warned that it is actually cold and windy up there at the top so bring the appropriate clothes. Another cool place is the Iao Needle.

If I'm not mistaken, the Sheraton Maui is at Black Rock, no? If so, there is some spectacular snorkeling right there if you can get your wife to watch the kids for a bit.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

Old 05-15-2006, 12:51 PM

There's an aquarium to visit. You'll pass it on the way from the airport to your hotel.

My daughter (1.5 at the time) seemed to enjoy it.

Other than that, we just hung out at all the various beaches and let her play in the sand.

There's also the sugar cane train ride near your hotel. It's pretty lame from an adult standpoint, but the kids liked it.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info

I imagine most of the time will be spent on the beach/pool at the hotel but will definately plan on a day trip to Hana (and I'll be sure to watch for the Maui Wowee talking trees ).

I was looking at a map of Maui and saw several sections of the highway that were marked "Driving through these points violates rental car contract". Whats up with that? Makes it impossible to drive all the way around the island, you can get 80% of the way around then you have to turn around and go back the way you came??

I hadnt heard about an aquarium, I'll have to look into that. The Sugar Cane train is on the list
Old 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM

My wife and i visited in 99, but before kids.

I'd bring a mask and snorkel at least for you and your wife. You never know when a wading/snorkling opportunity will present itself.

Hana was fun.

The Aqauarium was fun, and alot is indoors so its perfect for a late-lunch and afternoon visit when the sun is hot.

The beach at the sheraton is a really nice beach.

Another beach we really enjoyed was kapalua beach. Its about 20 mins north on the east shore.

Kapalua is small, sheltered and shallow. perfect for small kids. I was very comfortable snorking alone (my wife was reading napping) in the shallow water inside the reef.

There is public parking on the south side. The north side is a fancy golf resort. a short walk up the stairs on the north end of the beach is a bar. They wouldn't deliver bevvies to the beach, but didn't care if I took them (in large plastic cups) and they took whatever credit card I had with me back then.

Ask around for a local open air market to get fresh fruit. We found it great to have some in the room for snacks.

We enjoyed snacks during happy hour at the barefoot bar. http://www.hulagrill.com/

Make sure to get a cheese burger in paradise in lahaina.

find out when the big cruise ship will be in lahaina, and avoid it that day.

enjoy!

- Dan
Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 PM

If you are into History at all you have to see Pearl Harbor. It's a reasonably priced plane ticket on a puddle jumper and a bus ride to the Museum and memorial. If your wife and kids aren't into it go by yourself - it's a half day type of trip. Just amazing.

My brother was married on Maui - it was amazing. They do rent boogie boards with masks cut into them that you might be able to take your 3.5 year old on - put a life vest on him and you for safety - pretty cool to look down at the fish without needing a mask.

We were in Kapalua Bay. There is a famous seafood restaurant the wife and I went to there as well - I think it's call The Plantation - great food.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Watching this thread with interest since we'll be honeymooning there the first part of November.

I have a book at home that gives a ton of great info on all the islands, but I can't remember the name right now.... It has numbers for different tour companies for snorkeling, scuba, etc. I'll try to remember to take a look at it tonight and post the title.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-15-2006, 04:16 PM

I don't have this book, but I have its sister for Kauai and it was dead-on accurate.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html
Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 AM

The book loaned to us is The Complete Idiot's Travel Guide to Hawaii. Not a very flattering title, but it has been pretty helpful so far.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Eat at Momma's Fishhouse at least one (like for the big special dinner or something). It's near the airport. A little pricey, but the best food I had on that island.

Take snorkel gear with you at all times.

Don't worry about the rental car. The South side road is bumpy and dry. Some small bits of lava strewn about the road. If you drive to Hana, it's either drive all the way back the same way you came or keep going. I kept going and was happy. Not to much to look at over there though... Barren lava wastelands...

Take food with you before you goto Hana. There isn't really anywhere to eat in the middle of the drive if I recall.

Lahaina is OK. There is some shopping and a couple of bars. I think there is a Hard Rock there. It wasn't too spectacualar though.

I second the book that DAN-H mentioned. I have the Kauai book also and it's dead on.

Always remember that any beach in Hawaii is public. So if you like a beach, go check it out.

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM

Wow, great info!

My wife and I have been scuba diving for 20 years. It's going to be painful not diving while were there, but I doubt there will be any reliable daycare for a day . We will definately have our snorkling gear with us at all times! Those boogie boards with built in masks sound perfect for the 3 year old. Were bringing an innertube/seat/float for the younger one and if its calm enough I hope to tow him around some while were snorkling (shark bait )

Good to know that ALL beaches are public.

Thanks again!

Matt
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM

Good times!!!!

Mamas Fishouse was a major hit (major hit to the wallet too!). Hard to imagine a $15 Mai Tai being worth it, but they were!

The drive to Hana was awesome!

Boogy boards with masks are perfect for little kids.

5 hour flight there and back with a 1.5 year old sucks BIG TIME

Couple pics

Honoloa Bay:

Shaved ice discoveries:

Most of the time was spent right here:

This is on the road to Hana. Looking straight down from the drivers window, thats the edge of the road and the Pacific about 150' below. Most of the road is 8' wide for 2-way traffic, no gaurd rails, and AMAZING views:

Seems almost every dirt road ends up at a beach. Having a 4wd Comander was a must

And lastly, teaching my boys to stack rocks for me
Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Take one of the catamaran rides where you get to a hot snorkel spot, lunch and maitai's if you like. Cruising off shore under sail is very relaxing. Look for the red biplane giving stunt rides.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Take one of the catamaran rides where you get to a hot snorkel spot, lunch and maitai's if you like. Cruising off shore under sail is very relaxing. Look for the red biplane giving stunt rides.