Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Gift certificates vs actual product

Say you were running a raffle and a vendor handed you both. Gift certificates for a product and the actual product.

What reasonable and logical conclusion would you as the raffle prize collector and organizer arrive at?

Also invert the question and tell what thought processes you would have as a vendor and gave someone both items for a raffle.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM

As the organizer, I would most likely assume that both the certificate and product would be used in the raffle. However, I would verify the intentions of the vendor as they may have sent the product to be used as a display item to showcase what the gift certificate is to be used for.

As a vendor, I would have clearly stated my intentions as to how to use both but apparently your vendor has not done so. I would usually only send a product if it were to be used as a display especially if the product is not well recognized strictly by the printing on a certificate.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Agree with Jeeper.

You state handed you "gift certificates", plural. Did you also receive the same quantity of the actual product? If no, I'd suggest the product is for display purposes. Definitely need to clarify with the vendor.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 AM

Cool

A Jeep Jamboree may provide an example of each situation. On the last evening, they have a raffle. All of the items are on display, but:
A. Only small items such as sun glasses, cups, maps, CB radios, etc are given out on the spot.
B. Winners of large items, such as a Ramsey winch or a set of GY tires, are given a gift certificate which they mail in and receive the item directly from the donating company.

So I guess the answer is = all of the above.

Fred
Old 04-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Agree with Jeeper.

You state handed you "gift certificates", plural. Did you also receive the same quantity of the actual product? If no, I'd suggest the product is for display purposes. Definitely need to clarify with the vendor.
Equal numbers of each. No less than 10 and according to the gift organizer, the question "Are you sure you want to contribute this much product" was answered in the affirmative.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator

The reason I brought this up is that in the package we won at TDS, there was included a Gift Certificate for a Pro Comp trail kit.

In the process of cashing in this and several others that we won, I called Chad at Pro Comp to do so.

I was informed that TDS had screwed up and was only supposed to hand out either the Certs or the bags, but not both.

Confusing to me as the cert entitles the bearer to a trail kit. So, even if his intent was to have a cert included with each trail kit, how does that stop one from cashing in the cert?

Not wanting to further annoy the gift chairperson Denise with demands for a prize that PC was not willing to honor, I tossed it in the trash as I seriously doubt that PC could put anything in a trail kit that I need or don't already have.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Bad form on the part of PC.

They should have acknowledged the foul-up & made it good regardless.

The point of donating to a raffle is to get your product out there & get good word-of-mouth going. I rather doubt those folks affected by this will have much good to say about PC.

Kind of like the most loyal customer is usually NOT the one who never has a problem, but the one who does have a problem, and the vendor FIXES it happily, without question, etc.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:54 PM

So typical of companies and employees these days. The entire concept of customer service is dead in this country, and since we are not a manufacturing nation but a service nation I'd say we're screwed.

I'm sure that trail kit cost PC a whole $25 when you add in the overseas manufacturing, packaging, and shipping.

What a joke.

Blaine, if I were you I'd head to your local PC dealer and demand the prize - pretend you didn't talk to anyone on the phone about it. Make a scene in the store on a Saturday when they are busy...
Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Reggae

If it's not too late, I say, fish the certificate from the garbage and give it to the drummer as a birthday present.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
The entire concept of customer service is dead in this country, and since we are not a manufacturing nation but a service nation I'd say we're screwed.
Not dead, just hard to find. The cream will rise to the top once people stop asking "where is the cheapest place I can get X"? and start asking "who will take care of me best when I buy X for a competitive price?".
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So typical of companies and employees these days. The entire concept of customer service is dead in this country, and since we are not a manufacturing nation but a service nation I'd say we're screwed.

I'm sure that trail kit cost PC a whole $25 when you add in the overseas manufacturing, packaging, and shipping.

What a joke.

Blaine, if I were you I'd head to your local PC dealer and demand the prize - pretend you didn't talk to anyone on the phone about it. Make a scene in the store on a Saturday when they are busy...
Trust me Jeff, were it not for the very nice lady connected with TDS and the way that Chad instantly threw her under the bus, I would be more than happy to get my kit. It's only out of respect for her and not causing her more grief than Chad has, that I tossed it.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper
Not dead, just hard to find. The cream will rise to the top once people stop asking "where is the cheapest place I can get X"? and start asking "who will take care of me best when I buy X for a competitive price?".
Until Walmart is gone this will not happen.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Until Walmart is gone this will not happen.
Then we are doomed. I submit, you win.

Now that I think of it, Best buy started the trend in this area....They ran off the music stores and many small retailers. I can't remember the last time I went into a mom and pop type store.