Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Mike, Jeepspeed? Who handles the pits and logistics? Wow, that is a huge undertaking!

We didnt make it as far South as Cocos, thats another 50 miles or so past Catavina. That shack that we stopped at is between San Felipe and Valle de Trinidad in Laguna Diablo.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Mike, Jeepspeed? Who handles the pits and logistics? Wow, that is a huge undertaking!

We didnt make it as far South as Cocos, thats another 50 miles or so past Catavina. That shack that we stopped at is between San Felipe and Valle de Trinidad in Laguna Diablo.
we have a whole team of 14 guys.. 2 chase trucks and a pre runner..

Pits are handled for us this year by Maxxis Tire, they are sponsoring me for tires and pit support..

Have some good sponsors.. beard seats, Swayaway shocks (3.0 triple tube bypass shocks) Maxxis tires, TandJ, and a bunch more..

its going to be interesting and I start testing around the end of april.. been training with a personal trainer and doing tons of core excercises to strengthen the core.. its a whole ordeal.

The cool part is I have dropped 7lbs of fat and lost a pant size in the last 2 weeks..

thats kinda cool.. By the BJ 1000 in NOV,I should be in the best shape of my life... not bad for a 40yr old...

anway, it looks like you guys had an awesome time... maybe someday I can get me a cool KTM 525 and cruise with you guys
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
I've loaded maps into my mapping application and after thinking they were "off", I realized they were using a map datum different than what I normally use and have my software set for.

You can usually see that it is a datum issue if all of your tracks and waypoints seem to be off the same relative amount in the same direction. If the stuff is sporadically off in what looks like totally randoms distances and directions, it is probably just poorly made maps.
Good to know. First run is about 50 miles south of the Rumerosa. Way points plotted and checked on google. All off road dirt stuff.

Have a map from 1950 about some french explores who took the off beaten path, they uncovered some pretty cool stuff. going to try and follow some of it while looking for tasty places to wheel.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Got e-mail from Larry at LBmaps. The topo will not be updated.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Kinda what I figured.

The street map of Baja suposedly gets updated with input from users, I'll have to check if he has any recent updates.

That image you posted of Compuertas, where is that?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Kinda what I figured.

The street map of Baja suposedly gets updated with input from users, I'll have to check if he has any recent updates.

That image you posted of Compuertas, where is that?
compuertas? Explain
Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Britain
compuertas? Explain
A few posts back you posted a screen shot of street map detail for a town, looks to be on the border with a border crossing. Doesnt look like Tecate, Mexicali, Tijuana or Otay. I'm stumped
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Ah that was Mexicali. There are 2 border crossings. The one picture is east of the older crossing in Mexicali.

Compuretas is a neighborhood of Mexicali