Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM

Excessive Heat in Passenger Compartment

I've got a 2000 TJ with a swapped-in Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 engine, and between the headers and overall heat output of the modified engine, it heats up the firewall, tunnel, and floors to the point of getting the passenger compartment overly hot (especially on a hot day of trail riding), and on a worst case basis, it's almost like running with the heater on.

I don't want to wrap my headers for obvious reasons, and beyond that, they aren't the only source for heat delivered to the passenger compartment. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to go the route of installing some temperature insulating material, such as Thermo-Tec's Cool It adhesive-backed heat barrier/insulating mats on the passenger compartment side of the firewall, as well as the tunnel, and floor boards. The main problem with this material is that it is pretty pricey stuff.

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas or knows of places where I can get Cool It products at a discount, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Are you running without carpet?

I had Chris put the carpet back in for this reason. Im sure that the bigger engine exacerbates the problem. I actually ended up with prickly heat on my legs, and minor burns due to prolonged exposure on our trip home from Rubicon last year.

Tam
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM

No, we still have the full factory carpet in there. It's definitely the swapped-in V8 that's putting the heat into the passenger compartment (and the Dodge 5.9L is known for generating a fair amount of heat for a V8, even over the smaller displacement 5.2L).
Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Have you looked in the roofing dept. of Home Depot or Lowes? I have seen rolls of foil-backed thermal insulation for sale there that look like the same stuff to me but far less pricey due to the application being different.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

No I haven't Jerry, but that's a good idea. I don't know if the Home Depot/Lowes stuff has the same insulating value as the Cool It material, but if it's close, I am sure that would cost a lot less. Anyway, I'm heading over to Grand Junction next week, so I'll check it out.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Don,

I'm using the stuff that Jerry is talking about in my early Mustang, mostly for sound it does help with heat. I got it at Lowes and put a layer down underneath the carpet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-...04_4294937087_
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 PM

That's great Jeff ... and thanks for the link.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation claims to reduce temps by 25 to 30 degrees.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 AM

I did previously check out LizardSkin when someone suggested that on another website, however, according to their recommendations, it needs to be sprayed on using either their kit or what amounts to professional paint spraying equipment to be able to really build-up the mil thickness. While I will be taking the seats, console, and rugs out of my TJ for this project, the extra masking required for potential overspray was not really in my plans. If it could be effectively applied by brushing (which they don't recommend), I might have considered it. However, on top of that, LizardSkin is pretty pricey stuff in its own right.

Anyway, after a lot of further research, I decided to go with Thermo-Tec's Cool It adhesive-backed heat barrier/insulating mats and some of their exhaust system heat shields. I got a pretty good price through Summit Racing, so I believe that will take care of my passenger compartment heating issues (and I did also check out the foil-backed "Peel & Stick" thermal insulation roofing products at Lowes & Home Depot, but I was convinced that while much cheaper, it was not the right material for my application).

Thanks again everyone
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Don,

I'm using the stuff that Jerry is talking about in my early Mustang, mostly for sound it does help with heat. I got it at Lowes and put a layer down underneath the carpet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-...104_4294937087 hid kits
Wow I never would of thought of that. Good thinking man!!!