Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-24-2002, 07:38 PM

Pics of my D44 high steer.

Finally got around to taking a few pics of my High Steer. Sorry its webshots so only a link to the pics.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48152184ajTpWP

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48152192RmqcpN

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48152202mlzici

Hope that works.

I also had a chance to work on it today and finish the skelaton of my cross member. Need to build the skid plate now.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48152281BlHgHR

Jeeper
Old 08-24-2002, 09:01 PM

Hi Steve,
Did you get to hear that engine fire up yet? I spent half the day in the garage working on my jeep too and then took a shakedown dirt road pleasure drive to the Kofa wilderness area and back. Here is a picture of that:

I guess I didn't screw too much up by putting TJ shafts in my Dana 30. I replied to your prior email from this week by the way.
Jeep's almost done now right?
ty
Old 08-26-2002, 04:11 PM

Yep, almost done

I got your email...no problem, if you need it, just let me know.

Jeeper
Old 08-30-2002, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Geez, you have more ground clearance under your pumpkin than I do on my rockers (exaggeration, but you get the point...)!!!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Steve, the pressure on those steering bolts is intense. As such, you might consider increasing the loadbearing surfaces somewhat by eliminating the lock washer and going with a fine thread bolt at the pitman.

Fine thread by the nature of it's finer pitch and more revolutions to move the same linear distance holds torque better and is less likely to come loose.

I also like to use an upset locknut.

I found this out the hard way on my higher steer. Because I couldn't keep them tight enough, I started to wobble the reamed holes a bit.

Not really saying yours will, but your tires are bigger and the forces are at least similar.

Other than that little nitpicky thing, it looks pretty darn good.

Ready for Thanksgiving yet?
Old 08-30-2002, 06:03 PM

Thanks mrblaine! I understand your comments on the fine thread and come to think of it, I have no idea why I put a coarse thread on the pitman, everything else is fine thread. I'll change that. You'll have to school me on an "upset locknut"...not sure I've ever heard that before.

Thanksgiving....probably going to have to pass on that. My Jeep should be ready by then but this will be my new son's first Turkey day and I have my parents living near us now (they missed my daughters holidays (most anyway) since they used to live in Mississippi, and my mother-arrgghhh-in-cough/cough-law. I most likely will have to stick to some local wheeling for some time before I get the ok to leave home again

Jeeper
Old 08-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Administrator

An upset style locknut is also known as a Stover of which there are many configurations. Basically the ones most are familiar with have what looks like a very rounded triangle shape when viewed from the top. They depend upon deformation of the nut's threads to sustain a torque value and not loosen.