Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-19-2005, 07:36 AM

Crankshaft Position Sensor

I'm adding more "stuff" to my trail spare kit and wondering about the Crank, Cam and TPS from Autozone. They are Wells brand. Are these "quality" items or should I just go to the dealership.

Thanks
David
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
I'm adding more "stuff" to my trail spare kit and wondering about the Crank, Cam and TPS from Autozone. They are Wells brand. Are these "quality" items or should I just go to the dealership.

Thanks
David
They are the same.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM

Excellent, thanks !
Old 01-19-2005, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
They are the same.
I'm not so sure about Wells, but when my TPS went out (after spraying off the motor) I bought a Borg Warner senser from Pepboys. It was crap. The plastic weld was not sealed well and would obviously let moisture in. Also, it was missing the rubber seal at the throttle shaft.

So, I returned it and bought a Niehoff TPS at Kragen. It was identical crap to the Borg Warner.

I wound up drilling a small hole in the bottom of my original TPS, stuck the nozzle from a WD-40 can in the hole and sprayed it out good. Then sealed the hole with RTV. 6 months later and its still working great. I kept the Niehoff for a trail spare.

If the Wells is the same as the OEM that would be great, cause the others are garbage.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:10 AM

How much are you paying for a TPS? I found an OEM one on line at ChryslerPartsDirect for $44. Is that good, bad, or normal?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM

The Wells parts I picked up at Autozone had the same look and identical part numbers as on the OEM parts I was replacing. My manager friend at the Autozone told me that the Wells and the OEM are manufactered at the same plant and the Wells is simply rebadged. Dunno how true that is or not but I haven't had any problems with Wells parts.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seajeeper
How much are you paying for a TPS? I found an OEM one on line at ChryslerPartsDirect for $44. Is that good, bad, or normal?
That place shows $61.80 for my year vs Autozone at about $49.
CPS was a little cheaper though, but not enough to make it worth the bother of ordering online. Sometimes messing with the counter people is worth a $ or 2
Old 01-19-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
The Wells parts I picked up at Autozone had the same look and identical part numbers as on the OEM parts I was replacing. My manager friend at the Autozone told me that the Wells and the OEM are manufactered at the same plant and the Wells is simply rebadged. Dunno how true that is or not but I haven't had any problems with Wells parts.
I'll just go with those then. It's not like I'll ever need them if I have them with me
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM

I have not seen this this first hand, but several of my sources have confirmed to me that Wells buys alot of out of spec factory parts and sells them as their own. These parts may work fine for you, but under some condition they did not perform to factory specs. Use them at you own risk.
I have seen a Wells distributor cap that was far enough off center that the rotor hit the contacts on one side of the cap. Didn't have an OEM # on it though. Good stuff
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLemieux
I have not seen this this first hand, but several of my sources have confirmed to me that Wells buys alot of out of spec factory parts and sells them as their own. These parts may work fine for you, but under some condition they did not perform to factory specs. Use them at you own risk.
I have seen a Wells distributor cap that was far enough off center that the rotor hit the contacts on one side of the cap. Didn't have an OEM # on it though. Good stuff
Thanks for the input, maybe I'll just pay the small price difference and get them from the dealer afterall. I prefer my oats fresh and clean
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seajeeper
just replaced the TPS on my ZJ (NAPA brand) for $40.
It was really time to replace it, because the RPM jumps (200-300) when using cruise control were getting pretty annoying