Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-17-2001, 02:00 PM
Banned

Tie Rod Install/Alignment/etc ?

After installing a new tie rod, do I need to get an alignment? Will I need to use my pickle fork to get the old one off, or some other tool (it's a tapered bolt, sort of like the sway bar end links, right)? Anything I should know about it?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-17-2001, 02:29 PM
Reggae

Yes you will need to get your Toe-In adjusted. I am not sure what tools do you need to use to get the old one off. Big Hammer is definitely one of them.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-17-2001, 05:19 PM

Fluffy pointers for installing a new tie rod.

After installing a new tie rod, do I need to get an alignment? Will I need to use my pickle fork to get the old one off, or some other tool (it's a tapered bolt, sort of like the sway bar end links, right)? Anything I should know about it?

1. You will need to get an alignment, after the installation, not before.

2. You will not need to use your pickle fork (keep those in the kitchen for snack time, and besides your wife might get mad at you )

3. Tapered bolts require a special tool, like a ratchet wrench of the proper size and length.

4. You should keep a really big hammer handy in case it won’t come off, you can smack it, although it won’t have any mechanical effect it will make you feel manlier.

5. You should do it in the daylight so you can see well.

6. You should have eaten a good meal before you start, it might take you while and you don’t want to run out of energy before you finish.

7. It’s extremely helpful if you’re on a flat surface with both tires on level ground.

8. The optimum temperature for repair work is between 69 to 72 degrees, you don’t want to have to wear a bulky jacket, but you don’t want sweat running into your eyes either.

9. You will need a few grease rags.

10. A screwdriver of both types could be helpful in this situation. Oh and a pair of pliers is a must for any repair work.

11. Something soft to kneel on while you work is always comfortable.

12. Gloves to keep your hands grease free.

13. And a few on lookers to boost your morale would be a good idea, and a newbie to impress with your mechanical skills never hurts.

14. Take some photo’s and do a write up on your website to share with the Internet community.

Most of all have some fun, after all a bad day working on your Jeep beats a bad day at work.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Ace,

The subject of extracting tapered bolts from their tapered holes came up in conversation last week while running the trail with the guys.

It was explained to me that this can be accomplished by first place a large heavy object on one side of the object with said tapered bolt in it (I bet a big old 5 pound mall/hammer would work well for this part.)

Next, you get another hammer, a big one like Kat suggested, and you wack the object on the opposite side where you are holding the first heavy item. The end result is that the tapered hole flexes a very tiny amount and the tapered bolt pops loose.

I watched a partial demonstration of this on Robert's drag link steering stabilizer bolt.....it came out with one good blow.

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-17-2001, 08:20 PM
Banned

BTW, I did notice you have a write up. For parts, 1800PIMP4PARTS, for tech http://www.stu-offroad.com!

My parents are on a year long RV trip, but have a place in Prescott. Next time they are there (probably not for six months or more) and I'm visiting I wanna meet up with you and have a beer or something. I know Prescott and Phoenix aren't exactly right next door, but I'd definitely make the drive to see your Lady in person.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-18-2001, 05:02 AM

Stu, you may be surprised at how well your method does work. The mechanics on our concrete mixer trucks will only use this method for pulling tie rods, drag links, etc. Keep in mind, these tie rods are 1-3/4" dia. big!
Old 08-18-2001, 12:57 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Tumbleweed,

Glad to hear it works. It sounds like it should, and getting another acknowledgement that it does now makes me a believer. (watch, I'll try it on mine sometime and it WONT'!)

Ace,
I would enjoy hooking up with you should you ever get to Prescott. It is not that far away. Heck, some people live there and actually work in Phoenix. Too far for me for that, but I would certainly drive up there to say HI!

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-21-2001, 06:06 PM

The BFH is hard to use where the drag link attaches to the pitman arm, now what? Pickle fork time?
Kat, I carry old throw rugs in my Jeep to keep my skin soft, also a fold up plastic beach mat that keeps my old bones happy.
Ron
Old 08-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Ron- do you mean you can't get a down swing on the end of the balljoint?

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.