Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-27-2001, 01:25 PM
Banned

After U-Joints...what's next ?

If u-joints in the D30 didn't break, what would? What would be next to break, shaft, spider, r&p?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-27-2001, 05:39 PM
ghall

Whats next

With who’s axles?
Garry
Old 08-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
If u-joints in the D30 didn't break, what would? What would be next to break, shaft, spider, r&p?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom[/quote]

I give up, what?

Frankly, aside from u-joints/ears breaking and an occasional locker going, I don't know what'd break. When I was younger and crazier I had trouble keeping the axle housing on my XJ straight (rear D35 twice replaced with 9" and front D30 once, straightened and trussed.) Oh, I take it back, once on the Rubicon a guy was trying to climb up a steep hill back towards the Little Sluice. He started bouncing it, landed and twisted both driveshafts. Needless to say, he had to hook up the winch until new shafts came in from town

Jeff
Old 08-27-2001, 05:47 PM

Depends

On the situation, I would think that the tie-rod would go first. If you are still running the stock one that is.

Your Ring & Pinion will only break if your axle shafts are stronger than the Ring & Pinion. Are your running 35-spline axle shafts? The same applies to your Spider gears.

Typically if the U-joints don't go first, you will twist the spline on the axle shafts or break them.

Have you marked your U-joints to see if they are turning? If they are than that is your weakest point.

Kat

Kind of sounds like I know what I'm talking about doesn’t it?
Old 08-27-2001, 06:09 PM
Banned

Kathryn, it sounds good to me. The tie-rod part threw me a little, but the rest of the answer seemed pretty good.

The reason I ask is I've heard of a stronger 297 coming out soon. It got me to wondering if it's a good idea to replace stock D30 u-joints with 'indestructable' u-joints. Seems the u-joint is probably easier to replace than whatever the next thing in line would be.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-27-2001, 07:26 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

If your u-joint goes chances are your axle shaft is gonna' go with it. If that's the case, there's no point in worrying about the u-joint being stronger than the shaft anyway.

Jeff
Old 08-27-2001, 08:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghall:
With who&rsquo;s axles?
Garry[/quote]

Gary,
Warn's axles and hub conversion. 456 gears and Detroit. D30. I'm thinking what breaks in front axle/diff system. I have a feeling you don't have to guess?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-27-2001, 11:03 PM
ghall

TJRON:
The next thing to break? If you have 5 on 4.5 you will probably luck out with just replacing a hub. With 5 on 5.5 it gets ugly, you will have to replace a broken 297X and probably find ring gear teeth in the bottom when you pull the cover. With a super 297X I am sure it's going to be just pull the cover. With a HP30 the ring gear teeth will stand a better chance.
Garry
Old 08-28-2001, 06:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghall:
TJRON:
The next thing to break? If you have 5 on 4.5 you will probably luck out with just replacing a hub. With 5 on 5.5 it gets ugly, you will have to replace a broken 297X and probably find ring gear teeth in the bottom when you pull the cover. With a super 297X I am sure it's going to be just pull the cover. With a HP30 the ring gear teeth will stand a better chance.
Garry[/quote]

I like that! I have a spare hub but no spare ring gear.
I have the Superior kit in my Dana 35 and am thinking I'll carry my old shafts, carrier and spiders or rig the carrier to retain the c clips so I can put the old axles in if the 35 destructs. This will maybe let me run in front wheel drive or be rollable. I may not carry this stuff in my Jeep all the time but I could have it at my base camp.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-28-2001, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Ron- we can do you one better. Just get that spare 35 out of my garage and strap it to the roll bar. Don't even have to crack open the diff to get going again.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:37 AM
ghall

Ron:
I will try to be diplomatic. I have grown to hate the smell of diff. oil all over ones self when messing with those GD C-clips while laying on pointy rocks as the sun is going down. The D35 axle upgrades are supposed to be much stronger and without clips. However we shall see.
Garry