Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 09-28-2005, 12:16 PM
dennisuello

custom fuel tank/through the floor

I am considering having a custom fuel tank built to go through the floor behind the back seat, sitting flush with frame rails and about 18" tall. It will have about 22 gallon capacity. Before I cut into the floor, does anyone have any pictures where they cut the floorboard out. I want to know if there are any crossmembers, etc in the way. I know that it's impossible to raise stock tank up without crossmember modification, but my tank will have smaller footprint (11" front to back), so it fits with read seat in. I was looking at the replacement tank BTF was working on (http://www.bluetorchfab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1977), mine will be similar, just sitting higher and through the floor.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:00 PM
dennisuello

well, basically this is what I want. just angled slightly to fit behind the back seat.

mrblaine, do you have any more pictures of this from inside of the jeep? what's the capacity of that tank?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 PM

That's not a tank. It's a storage compartment.

"Trackbar axle bolt - need FORK LIKE THINGY "
Old 09-28-2005, 02:09 PM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by Croaker
That's not a tank. It's a storage compartment.
storage compartment for fuel. looks like a fule pump to me:

Old 09-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Reggae

mrblaine's jeep always changes, one day there is a storage compartment for fuel, other day there is just storage compartment.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:48 PM
dennisuello

will this work, or am missing something? this will allow to retain stock TJ pump while having a 20 gallon tank with a small footprint.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
will this work, or am missing something? this will allow to retain stock TJ pump while having a 20 gallon tank with a small footprint.

Won't work. You'll leave the sump empty if you tilt the tank.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
mrblaine's jeep always changes, one day there is a storage compartment for fuel, other day there is just storage compartment.

"Trackbar axle bolt - need FORK LIKE THINGY "
Old 09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
dennisuello

i changed the previous image to center the pump. also, what about this design? the tank will sit flush with frame rails, the 11" tall part will protrude through the floor and will house the pump. basically, the same idea as blaine's but with extra capacity, by extending the front part of the tank below the floor. I eyeballed the measurements, just to get an idea of the capacity.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
i changed the previous image to center the pump. also, what about this design? the tank will sit flush with frame rails, the 11" tall part will protrude through the floor and will house the pump. basically, the same idea as blaine's but with extra capacity, by extending the front part of the tank below the floor. I eyeballed the measurements, just to get an idea of the capacity.

If the pump is 11" tall, you need to make the tank a couple of inches taller for expansion.

Basically duplicate the stock parameters in that the tank area is recessed below the two expansion areas that also are the high points for the vapor recovery lines connected to roll-over valves.