Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-07-2002, 06:04 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Request for TJRON

Hi Ron, I have a small favor to ask if you can concerning that spare set of D44 axle tubes you have.

Did they come off of a TJ by any chance?

If so, would you mind taking two measurements for me?

I am interested in the outside diameter of the tubes, in the center, as well as the tube wall thickness.

Any chance you can get those measurements for me?

Thanks in advance,

Frank
Old 02-07-2002, 06:58 AM

I'm not a TJRON, but I do play one on TV...

I've measured my TJ D44 tubes OD. It was 2 5/8 inches, or 2.625" in Blaine measurements. I wasn't in the mood to ruin my perfectly fine axle to measure the thickness, but hopefully Ron can on his spares.

I'm curious, where is this going Frank? Are you collecting data or is there something more sinister you've got going on?

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:22 AM

Hi Jim,

I don't think an old man laid up in bed due to back surgery could be planning anything sinister. Hmmmm.... Let me take that back. Plan yes! Execute, not a chance! I can hardly move my fingers.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to measure the outside diameter and wall thickness of a TJ D44 axle tube and I am wanting some verification from someone else.

One of anything generally doesn't make a fact. At least not as I see the world.

I saw that Ron has a spare set of D44 tubes and thought I'd ask for his assistance, if these are TJ D44 tubes.

The tube I measured came off a 1998 TJ D44.

I was able to measure the outside diameter of the tube and the wall thickness of the tube after having it cut 12 inches from the differential housing.

No, I didn't cut a perfectly good D44 tube.

I was in a salvage yard and saw a 98 TJ with D44 all bent up due to some incredible accident.

I talked the yard owner into cutting it so I could measure it, in exchange for a home made bottle of wine. (Yes we measured before the wine. I delivered the wine the next day.

I also put a caliper on my D35 (1997 TJ) from the axle end, so I know what that wall thickness is. (Yes it matches Blaine's finding of .250-inches.)

And the outside diameter of both my 1997 TJ D35 and the outside Diameter of the 1998 TJ D44 tubes both measure 2.625 inches, as others have verified.

What I need now is some verification on the TJ D44 wall thickness. I know what I measured, but I want to see if someone else can confirm the same measurement.

See, not so sinister

Frank
Old 02-07-2002, 07:31 AM

Frank,

I do hope you get well soon. Back surgery is not fun. I've never had it, but many years ago my mother did and was laid up for years. Hers was quite serious and required over a week in the hospital. I trust yours was less serious as you were in and out rather quickly. Hopefully that means a faster healing time.

Good luck in gathering the data. It sure would be a good thing to have handy. There is so much talk about the TJ Dana axle tubes on both rears it would be good to have some hard numbers. Thanks for the effort.

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:41 AM

Frank, I don't have any spare axle tubes. My friend straightened the ones on it. I have some spare axles is all. I meant to measure them when I had it apart but forgot to.
Sorry,
Ron.

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:42 AM

Thanks for your kind wishes Jim. I am sure I will be fine in a few weeks.

Until then I plan to play on the internet till I have to take one of those little pain pills again. Then I'll just float around in la la land like a zombie. (I hate that, but I guess I'm a wimp and have a certain threshold of pain that I can't live with.)

Mine is cancer. Been an ongoing battle yet one I have no intentions of loosing. I just have far to many things to do and see and learn.

I think in reality I have already won this battle, but the cancer just doesn't know it yet. It will.

Once again thank you for your kind wishes.

Frank
Old 02-07-2002, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
Frank, I don't have any spare axle tubes. My friend straightened the ones on it. I have some spare axles is all. I meant to measure them when I had it apart but forgot to.
Sorry,
Ron.

[/quote]

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. My misunderstanding. Guess I'm going to have to keep looking.

If you know of anyone who pulls one apart, see if you can get them to put a caliper on it.

Frank