Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Radiator Recommendations for a Swapped-In V8

I have a 2000 TJ that has a swapped-in Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 engine. As part of the V8 swap, an Advance Adapters #716687, 3-core copper/brass radiator for Jeep Wrangler TJ's with V8 conversions was installed along with a fan and fan clutch assembly from a ZJ.

In driving my TJ both on-highway and off-road, I notice that it is typically running too hot, even when the outside temps are not all that hot and I am not doing anything too tough or demanding. Where I used to see my original factory 4.0L I6 engine run consistently about 210 on the temperature gauge in such instances, the 5.9L V8 is running more in the 220-230 area and sometimes even goes up from there, especially if the A/C is on or I am doing some slow off-road wheeling.

Since my thermostat, water pump, and serpentine belt are all in good operating condition (and there is only about 2000 miles of use on the Advance Adapters radiator), this all leads me to the conclusion that the #716687 radiator just doesn't have enough cooling capacity for my Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 engine.

BTW, I have checked with Ron Davis Racing Products in Arizona, and they can custom build an aluminum down-flow radiator for a V8 equipped TJ, however, they want $550-$600, and that is beyond my budget.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone who has a V8 in their TJ (or otherwise has experience with V8 swaps) could recommend a better radiator with more cooling capability for my application.